Boraras brigittae (chili rasbora) with shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacecook1025

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I am setting up a 10 gallon planted shrimp tank for my awesome Blue Velvets. I was originally going to do a shrimp only tank, but am thinking a small fish would just be something fun to see in it as well.

Please don't tell me that any fish could potentially eat my shrimplets. I know this. I have a larger community tank with Cherries and their numbers are steadily rising, even with lots of fish with them, so I know that it can be done (with lots of plants and hiding places of course). But since this is a much smaller tank, I need to be really careful about who I choose to house them with.

After lots of research I think I have decided on a small shoal of Chili Rasboras (Boraras brigittae). They are teeny and colorful and are supposed to be great with shrimp.

Has anyone kept these fish before? If so, have you had success keeping them with shrimp? Do they have any special needs? All the info I can find on them is pretty generic and vague. I will definitely make sure the tank is well established before getting them.

Would love any input anyone has on these cute little fish. Or if you have another suggestion for shrimp tank mates, let me know! (And no, I don't really want ottos.) Thanks! :)

Hi, I am setting up a 10 gallon planted shrimp tank for my awesome Blue Velvets. I was originally going to do a shrimp only tank, but am thinking a small fish would just be something fun to see in it as well.

Please don't tell me that any fish could potentially eat my shrimplets. I know this. I have a larger community tank with Cherries and their numbers are steadily rising, even with lots of fish with them, so I know that it can be done (with lots of plants and hiding places of course). But since this is a much smaller tank, I need to be really careful about who I choose to house them with.

After lots of research I think I have decided on a small shoal of Chili Rasboras (Boraras brigittae). They are teeny and colorful and are supposed to be great with shrimp.

Has anyone kept these fish before? If so, have you had success keeping them with shrimp? Do they have any special needs? All the info I can find on them is pretty generic and vague. I will definitely make sure the tank is well established before getting them.

Would love any input anyone has on these cute little fish. Or if you have another suggestion for shrimp tank mates, let me know! (And no, I don't really want ottos.) Thanks! :)

Yes I've kept them before. They're pretty simple as long as you crush/cut their food small enough for their mouths, they love BBS and mosquito larvae. Also, make sure to have a filter guard on the filter as this is how I lost all but 2 of mine:(. Didn't realize it until it had been too late... Yes, make sure the parameters are in good standing before you get them. They love hiding in plants so make sure to get some bushy ones like cambomba Carolina. I honestly don't think that they could fit a shrimp or even a baby shrimp in their mouths unless they ripped it to shreds first... They're awesome little fish that look AMAZING when schooling, so good luck to you:)

Also the only other thing I could think of would be a snail (nerites 'cause I love them:)). Just make a nice big school of the chilis and you'll be good!

Great, thanks! Will definitely make sure to have good plants for hiding. Already have a sponge prefilter because of the shrimp so that's good. So glad they will work out, they are so pretty! And I am already getting a cool rabbit snail so looks like my tank will be full. Thanks again!

Great, thanks! Will definitely make sure to have good plants for hiding. Already have a sponge prefilter because of the shrimp so that's good. So glad they will work out, they are so pretty! And I am already getting a cool rabbit snail so looks like my tank will be full. Thanks again!
No problem! That tank sounds really cool. I've always liked rabbit snails:)

Back
Top Bottom