Bottom cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konrade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a newbie to fresh, converted from saltwater. I have a 40 gallon breeder right now, it is cycled with 3 neons in it. I plan on doing a south american type tank. There are no live plants, ph is around 7. Low trates. I need a bottom feeder to clean up after my other fish who miss some flakes and other foods. I don't really like cories. I was thinking maybe a couple of banjo cats maybe? I am planning on having angels also. Any suggestions for good bottom feeders would be great?

I don't know my biotypes very well, but snails are some of the best garbage collectors. Mystery snails are my favorite to watch and they don't go crazy on the population.

I would second the notion for the pleco, they do great jobs and can live with virtually any type of fish lol

Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately my lfs's don't have any bristlenoses. They have the banjo cats for like 2.99 a piece and I really like them. Anybody have experience with them/? I also plan on adding a jewel cichlid or two, my lfs' has some extremely healthy beautiful jewels.

I'm also considering whether I need a bottom feeder. Originally I had 5 tetras, a small pleco, & a couple guppies to a 12 gallon tank. The pleco pretty much stays in his castle & never comes out, even at night. I give the pleco 1/2 an algae tab every day into his castle. The guppies obviously fed at the top & the tetras seemed to get enough drifting flakes to survive. I have never had a problem w/ ammonia build up due to every 3-4 wk PWC.

I just adopted 5 more tetras & I don't know how much more to feed so none of the tetras goes hungry, but also don't want the guppies to pig out. I also don't want rotting food on the tank floor. My tetras NEVER try to feed off the bottom & the only ones that come to the surface are a couple rummy nosed tetras.

I'd rather not have to get another fish, but do you more experienced folks think I should get a cory? Also, is the bushnose pleco mentioned above any different than a common pleco?

Cories should be kept in groups of three minimum. Common Plecos get really large. That is the biggest difference.

The big question--do I need a bottom feeder? If so, is there any single fish that you could recommend?

Bottom feeders aren't necessary, but they do help with leftover food. As long as you're keeping a clean tank, no you don't need a bottom feeder.

GOT IT. Is there any single small (1 to 1 1/2 inches) bottom feeder that would be appropriate if I need one?

3newbie3: Not to be rude, but could you start your own thread? You are kinda hijacking this one. ;)

Konrade: I've never kept Banjos, but from what I've read, they hide alot. It should eat flakes and missed food, but I'd still throw some shrimp pellets in the tank a few times a week for it. I think they get about 4-5 inches. I would be worried about a full grown one eating Neons (since they tend to hang out at the bottom), though I'm not certain that they will. Hopefully someone will chime in, who has kept them with smaller fish.

Be sure to plan your stocking carefully, especially if you add Jewels. They can be extremely aggressive, so you'll have to choose tankmates carefully. I certainly wouldn't house them with Angels.

Angels could also eat your Neons, as they are their natural prey in the wild. If you truly want Jewels, skip the Angel. I'm not sure how Jewels are with small fish like Neons.

The subject was "bottom feeder", which was my question, so I thought it was appropriate to join this forum. My apologies for being out of line. I AM new, so didn't realize there was an incorrect way to tap the brains of more experienced fish owners.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I realize that there is a chance of the angels eating the tetras, but as long as I kept the well fed, that they would be alright. I really like the jewels though, but if it turns out to be a little monster I will have to take him back. Anybody else have experience with jewels and compatibility? They are probably some of the best looking freshwater fish I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom