Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bottom cleaners ?

I have a 30 gal with a couple of small turtles. I am looking for something that will eat the daubry from the gravel. Normally the turtles wont attempt to kill anything that is larger than their heads, so Im not concerned about that. Any suggestions ?

Old 04-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I suggest vacuuming the gravel daily...seriously.....no fish is going to eat the fæces, and if there is that much leftover food and mess, you need to feed less and filter more. What species of turtle do you have, how big are they currently, and what is your set-up like?

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 AM   #3

well I have a good filter system, and lets get serious unless your retired who has time to vacuum an aquarium every day. There in not that much junk at all I was just looking to make a better working echo system. There are four 3" turtles in the tank. two of witch are going to be put in my pond in a few weeks. I wasnt really thinking of fish, I heard fresh water clams are good for that sort of thing.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm married....have a 3 year old son.....work 48-60 hours a week on a 12hour rotating shift and I have time to vaccuum EVERY day. If you take the health of the tank and the inhabitant seriously you make the time you need.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont vacuum every day; However it is atleast once a weak along with my 25% water changes. I find time to look after my fish and i am, still in school, have a social life Have alot of homework, revision and coursework to complete along with my other pets and plus i have 4 tanks 8)

I really think that you should find some more time
Old 04-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to megos1
I'm with them...I'm a full-time student with a full time job and 4 horses that need to be taken care of every day. I always MAKE time for my fish tanks.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to take my dogs outside every day...several times a day in fact. 2 dogs, 3 mins each, at least 5 times a day, that's a half hour of potty time.
I could easily do a PWC on a 30gallon tank in 30 mins...and if it was just a gallon of water so I could vac the gravel, probably under 10 minutes.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
I have three tank be them small that I manage to keep up with .. three other animals five jobs and take care of a parent...

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the fiddler

My wife gets jealous b/c I spend too much time with my tanks. All I have is a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon QT that I have a few otos in right now. I have a 40-50 hour a week job and 2 kids (1 and 4 years). I also have a dog and a cat that I'm responsible for. I do PWCs about once or twice a week and I'm always checking my water parameters. I also experiment with different foods and I'm always fiddling with some new tank idea, or gadget, or something. I could fiddle with my tanks all day, everyday, if left alone, and I'd buy more if only I had the money and the understanding from my wife. But alas, this is not a logistical possibility. So I have only a few tanks that I don't mess with but 30 - 40 minutes a day. I can do a 30% PWC in 15 minutes, and thats hauling water buckets cause my tank is not near a room with a screw type faucet. But I'm fiddling with that too.

I guess you can spend as much time with your fish as you wish. But you must spend enough to keep them healthy.

This is not what I got online this time for, sorry.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Having owned a turtle once, I can say they make quite a mess. No fish or other animal will help with waste from them. Other fish may eat excess food, but I'm thinking they will likely get eaten, since "cleaner fish" are often smallish.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bivalves (clams etc) only filter water to get single celled organisims out. They will help with algae, but add to the waste production. They would look cool though!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 PM   #12

wow how do you guys find time for a social life ? I was trying to find an article that someone wrote about a self supportive system. This guy had to only vacuum once a month. He had an active echo system in place. I just cant remember where I read it. I vacuum right now three times a month, but if you are vaccuming every day, you need a larger aquarium for what you have or need to find some friends lol.. jk kidding..
Old 04-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I vaccuum every day because I have an Ammonia problem that I think came from My wife feeding the fish in the morning and me feeding them in the evening.....neither of us realized that the other was feeding......still can't figure that one out.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
I have no social life whatsoever.. therefore the weirdness of my person.. and the odd habit of sleeping with game manuels under my pillow and my stroking of my ten gallon tank.. such a pretty tank...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #15

lol wow that is too bad..

Tags
bottom, clean, cleaner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com