Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Bottom drilled tank advice

So I started my aquarium journey a month ago and I am looking at getting a 55 gallon used. Only thing is it is a drilled tank with some pipe attached. I know nothing about drilled tanks. What is the point? Can they be used with canister filters? What is the point of a sump setup? I know basically nothing about the pros and cons of this setup... I’ll take all the info I can get.

__________________
calebgbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,943
You may be able to hook up a canister ,but I would not with out good shut offs on the lines .
Does the tank have pipes in an overflow or exposed in the tank?
Can you post a picture?
Sumps are easy and most never go back to other forms of filters once they understand if they have the room.
You would need to place a sump or aquarium in the stand to use the pipes as a sump feed /return.Making a sump can be easy.
__________________
Mr.bandit is my YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...zPAhmB9QK0UvMA
https://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...er&Coralbandit
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
You may be able to hook up a canister ,but I would not with out good shut offs on the lines .
Does the tank have pipes in an overflow or exposed in the tank?
Can you post a picture?
Sumps are easy and most never go back to other forms of filters once they understand if they have the room.
You would need to place a sump or aquarium in the stand to use the pipes as a sump feed /return.Making a sump can be easy.


I do not have pictures... but what makes a sump/ second aquarium in the stand such a great setup?
__________________
calebgbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,943
You can keep equipment like heaters and pumps out of sight.
You will have constant surface extraction which is the best IMO.
You will have no hard water lines from evaporation in the tank as evap will happen in the sump.The tank must always be filled to the same level to overflow through drain pipe so it never changes.
You also have the opportunity for much more media be it mechanicals or bio..
In general my opinion is they are the best filter but take up a good amount of room in the stand[or wherever you place it]. The sump for my 180g in my living room is in my basement....I drilled a hole through my floor in the stand to achieve this !
__________________
Mr.bandit is my YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...zPAhmB9QK0UvMA
https://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...er&Coralbandit
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
You can keep equipment like heaters and pumps out of sight.
You will have constant surface extraction which is the best IMO.
You will have no hard water lines from evaporation in the tank as evap will happen in the sump.The tank must always be filled to the same level to overflow through drain pipe so it never changes.
You also have the opportunity for much more media be it mechanicals or bio..
In general my opinion is they are the best filter but take up a good amount of room in the stand[or wherever you place it]. The sump for my 180g in my living room is in my basement....I drilled a hole through my floor in the stand to achieve this !


In theory that sounds fantastic but I live in a 1 bedroom apartment... plus idk if I can convince my spouse that this is all necessary haha especially this soon
__________________
calebgbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
rlederer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 740
I agree. A sump is a fantastic filter setup. If you have room under the 59 gal tank for a 20 gallon tank, you have room for a sump. That's apparently why the tank was drilled in the bottom in the first place.
__________________
rlederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I agree. A sump is a fantastic filter setup. If you have room under the 59 gal tank for a 20 gallon tank, you have room for a sump. That's apparently why the tank was drilled in the bottom in the first place.


I have some kindof crazy ideas on how to set it up but it might be abit of overkill
__________________
calebgbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, bottom, drilled, led, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW Tank with drilled bottom change to FW Autumnsky General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 8 08-26-2017 08:54 AM
Advice on pre drilled 90 gallon filtration please :) marise Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 01-11-2014 11:40 AM
Setting up Tank Via Holes Drilled in Bottom of Tank? jeffnyc General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 3 07-31-2009 08:59 AM
Reading or advice on how to plumb 125g drilled tank / sump / skimmer Caige General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 15 06-16-2009 11:07 AM
pre-drilled or not pre-drilled that is my question ohio reefer Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 11-14-2003 05:25 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.