Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bottom drilled tank advice

So I started my aquarium journey a month ago and I am looking at getting a 55 gallon used. Only thing is it is a drilled tank with some pipe attached. I know nothing about drilled tanks. What is the point? Can they be used with canister filters? What is the point of a sump setup? I know basically nothing about the pros and cons of this setup... I’ll take all the info I can get.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You may be able to hook up a canister ,but I would not with out good shut offs on the lines .
Does the tank have pipes in an overflow or exposed in the tank?
Can you post a picture?
Sumps are easy and most never go back to other forms of filters once they understand if they have the room.
You would need to place a sump or aquarium in the stand to use the pipes as a sump feed /return.Making a sump can be easy.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
You may be able to hook up a canister ,but I would not with out good shut offs on the lines .
Does the tank have pipes in an overflow or exposed in the tank?
Can you post a picture?
Sumps are easy and most never go back to other forms of filters once they understand if they have the room.
You would need to place a sump or aquarium in the stand to use the pipes as a sump feed /return.Making a sump can be easy.

I do not have pictures... but what makes a sump/ second aquarium in the stand such a great setup?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can keep equipment like heaters and pumps out of sight.
You will have constant surface extraction which is the best IMO.
You will have no hard water lines from evaporation in the tank as evap will happen in the sump.The tank must always be filled to the same level to overflow through drain pipe so it never changes.
You also have the opportunity for much more media be it mechanicals or bio..
In general my opinion is they are the best filter but take up a good amount of room in the stand[or wherever you place it]. The sump for my 180g in my living room is in my basement....I drilled a hole through my floor in the stand to achieve this !
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
You can keep equipment like heaters and pumps out of sight.
You will have constant surface extraction which is the best IMO.
You will have no hard water lines from evaporation in the tank as evap will happen in the sump.The tank must always be filled to the same level to overflow through drain pipe so it never changes.
You also have the opportunity for much more media be it mechanicals or bio..
In general my opinion is they are the best filter but take up a good amount of room in the stand[or wherever you place it]. The sump for my 180g in my living room is in my basement....I drilled a hole through my floor in the stand to achieve this !

In theory that sounds fantastic but I live in a 1 bedroom apartment... plus idk if I can convince my spouse that this is all necessary haha especially this soon
Old 02-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree. A sump is a fantastic filter setup. If you have room under the 59 gal tank for a 20 gallon tank, you have room for a sump. That's apparently why the tank was drilled in the bottom in the first place.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I agree. A sump is a fantastic filter setup. If you have room under the 59 gal tank for a 20 gallon tank, you have room for a sump. That's apparently why the tank was drilled in the bottom in the first place.

I have some kindof crazy ideas on how to set it up but it might be abit of overkill

Tags
advice, bottom, drilled, led, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com