Bottom feeder help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks good to know I have room in my stocking plan for a single but 3 catfish that sIze I couldn't do

I actually have yo-yo loaches with MTS, Nerites, and pond snails. They only eat the pond snails. I actually just added 13 horned nerites the other day. Not all loaches eat all types of snails. Pond snails have really thin shells and are easy for loaches to open but MTS and Nerites, which have true trapdoors, are much harder to get out. When I first added my nerites about 9 months ago the yo-yo's tried off and on for a few days when they'd find one but they just couldn't open them. Now they don't even try and they are about 4" long which is a good size for yo-yo's. Also MTS come out more in the dark and between having very thick shells with tiny opennings and their night activity they are the easiest for loaches.

I honestly find that plecos do more damage in the aquarium than good. They have a heavier bioload, mine likes to dig in the substrate under rocks, and it's always tearing through the plants uprooting them. Plus I don't see it as often as my other bottom feeders. I personally enjoy my S. Multipunctata and my S. Nigriventris. The Multipunctata is slightly more expensive than some of the other Synodontis species but in a way it's worth the cost. He is always out where I can visually see him and isn't shy like other species of catfish. The Nigriventris is cool because of obvious reasons, what kind of upside down swimming catfish wouldn't be cool?

I agree that plecos have some bad effects, such as their waste, but with the right filtration and water movement, they are good fish, and can significantly help with algae problems. They should be fine, as long as you have enough space.

I only have about 8, but there's always the possibility that mine are the exception rather than the rule, but i know of others that have active kuhlis. You can always train them to want to be up during the day by only feeding in the afternoons or mornings.

I have only 4 and mine are always out playing/dancing together! They seem to only nap from 10a-4p. I love my Khulis and plan to get more, they are always doing silly things or sleeping in funny places (draping down my plants or on top of decorations specifically there so they can hide IN). Id recommend them to anyone.

I actually have yo-yo loaches with MTS, Nerites, and pond snails. They only eat the pond snails. I actually just added 13 horned nerites the other day. Not all loaches eat all types of snails. Pond snails have really thin shells and are easy for loaches to open but MTS and Nerites, which have true trapdoors, are much harder to get out. When I first added my nerites about 9 months ago the yo-yo's tried off and on for a few days when they'd find one but they just couldn't open them. Now they don't even try and they are about 4" long which is a good size for yo-yo's. Also MTS come out more in the dark and between having very thick shells with tiny opennings and their night activity they are the easiest for loaches.

I had 4 yoyos destroy a 3 mystery snails that were bigger then golf balls, and the loaches just went at them, pulled them form the shell, and had quite the feast.

Back
Top Bottom