bottom feeder options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my ghost shrimp population has been depleted yet again. I'm starting to think that it might be better to try a different bottom feeder.

20g high tank
10 black neon tetras
5 five banded barbs
3 ottos
2 female bettas
a few ghost shrimp

As you can see, I'm pretty much near the ceiling when it comes to bio-load of my tank, so I have to take that into consideration if I'm going to stray away from the ghosties.

I don't know what's killing off the ghost shrimp, but suspect the female bettas.

I'm thinking that I have a few options in front of me.

1) Re-home the female betta that I suspect might be offing the ghost shrimp, then add some more of them. I don't have anywhere to put her, and I'm not sure I'd want to dump her off on a LFS either.

2) Get a different bottom feeder for my tank. Options are limited IMO.

- a school of cory cats would overstock me
- kuhli loaches might work, but they may be better in groups large enough to overstock me
- any other shrimp would also likely become lunch
- pond / ramshorn snails seem like more of a pest than a benefit IMO
- mts might be an option, although they multiply like rabbits like pond / ramshorns

3) Don't bother getting another bottom feeder. I personally like the idea of having a cleanup crew, so I'd prefer to avoid this option.

Thoughts?

Hi James,
I'm still a newbie but I really like Bushy Nose Pleco's. Although I think they can get up to 4" in length. So they might be a little much for your set-up.

Dennis

DiscusDennis said:
Hi James,
I'm still a newbie but I really like Bushy Nose Pleco's. Although I think they can get up to 4" in length. So they might be a little much for your set-up.

Dennis

The bristle or bushy nose pleco reaches five inches, and eats algae. They also have a relatively large bioload, as plecos do.

Bettababe1011 said:
The bristle or bushy nose pleco reaches five inches, and eats algae. They also have a relatively large bioload, as plecos do.

Yup, which is why I hadn't included them in my post. I'm considering bottom feeder options, not algae eaters.

Yup, which is why I hadn't included them in my post. I'm considering bottom feeder options, not algae eaters.

Oh.....I guess I'm partial to catfish (lol)
Sounds like you have a pretty balanced tank.
I wouldn't give up on the shrimp though.

Dennis

I have 3x Julii cores in my 20g. They are efficient at bottom cleaning and get to about 3". Might be an option. My 20g tank is about as stocked as yours and I have had no problems. I do 30-35% PWC every 4-5 days.

I vote for any of the small cory varieties as well. they are all so peacefull and fun to watch.

I think you are already already pretty well stocked. I wouldn't add any more fish at this point. A 20H is kind of limiting because of the footprint. Horizontal space is more important than vertical, unless you are dealing with tall fish.

mfdrookie516 said:
I think you'd be ok with a school of smaller cories. 5 pygmy or peppered cories perhaps?

Are you sure I wouldn't be getting myself into hot water with my current stock? I wrote corys off, even pygmies, because of how many fish I have.

What's your nitrate level average before a water change? Something you have to consider. As long as the fish have plenty of room, and you can keep your levels in check, you're technically not overstocked. That said, I wouldn't add anything just to have bottom feeders. My stocking plan included room for cories, just because I wanted some. If you have a good handle on your nitrates, and everything else is good to go, you'll be fine.

I'll check again today, but it's been hitting around 30-40ppm prior to a water change. I have more plants to put in there today, but I clearly don't want the end result to be over 40ppm prior to changing the water.

I tested again before my weekly water change, and nitrAtes are around 30-35ppm. I think, like you do, that it's too high to add anything but near-zero bio-load inverts.

I don't think I can make this decision today anyway. I'm adding plants after this water change, so that will have a long term effect on nitrAte numbers. I'm also switching from an Aqueon Quietflow 30 to a AquaClear 50, probably today or tomorrow (since my Quietflow-to-AquaClear switch on my 10g looks stable). I'm anticipating that my bio-filtration will be vastly improved with this change, which will also effect my long term nitrAte readings.

Back
Top Bottom