Bottom feeder to help keep sand free of wasted food. Sand bottom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd recommend cutting back on feeding rather than adding fish to take care of uneaten food. There shouldn't be uneaten food in the tank. JMO.

In a perfect world there might be no uneaten food. Something gets caught in the current and ends up on the bottom. I don't care how hungry the fish are, it's going to happen and the bottom feeders can do there job. As long as they don't venture too close to the convicts nest...lol!
Scott

MTS are very good at what they do, but snails of any kind should at least do the job in the oscar tank. But, since you can't find any snails, you might try some of the larger catfish that are available.

You might also consider crayfish for the job, if available. They are very good scavengers. I don't suggest keeping crayfish in a tank with smaller fish, but they may be OK with the oscar. Crayfish can be very feisty!

For any other tank I would suggest Bronze Corys. They are plentiful and inexpensive. They are also very fun to watch. You might also try out freshwater shrimp. They are also very good scavengers. Ghost shrimp or the Red Cherry Shrimp are good choices. You can check out this site for more information on them.

i agree with shadowraven about crays,but make sure you have plenty of caves for when it moults

Crayfish/shrimp?

Would it be alright to add crayfish with Convicts and Emerald Green Cory's? These fish all seem top sleep on the bottom when the crayfish are out looking for food. There are plenty of hiding places for the crayfish and or shrimp...:cool: Please let me know!

I wouldn't add crayfish to a tank of smaller fish if I were you. Crayfish will eat anything they can catch and that includes fish. Larger convicts might be OK, but I would avoid any smaller ones. Convicts can be feisty themselves as they swim by, but if the crayfish gets the drop on them as they swim by, it can hurt them. Those pincers are strong.

Crayfish ARE scavengers, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one. They will quickly devour anything they find laying on the bottom of the tank, including any dead fish. But please keep in mind that they are also opportunists. They will eat whatever they can catch. They won't chase anything down, but they will grab whatever gets within reach... very quickly.

They may do OK for awhile in a tank with smaller fish, but sooner or later they will probably end up eating one. They won't attack larger fish, but any smaller ones are fair game.

Shrimp are a better choice for a tank of smaller fish, and they are pretty good scavengers as well. But the shrimp themselves can be in danger from any larger or more aggressive fish. They are a natural food for many of them.

my crayfish has been in my 20 since january and i havent lost a fish since.and my fish arent that smart,she could of killed them pretty easy if she wanted.it mostly depends on there personality,shes bigger than any of my fish.

my crayfish has been in my 20 since january and i havent lost a fish since.and my fish arent that smart,she could of killed them pretty easy if she wanted.it mostly depends on there personality,shes bigger than any of my fish.

I never stated that they always would. There can always be mitigating circumstances in each case. Maybe your crayfish is well-fed and has not seen the need for some fresh catch. Maybe it is something else.

What I am saying is that when you put crayfish into a tank with fish that are small enough to be considered a meal it's not at all unusual for a cray to make one of them.

Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it never will. It may never happen to you, but you're still taking a chance. I have known several instances where crayfish have enjoyed a nice meal of sushi.

yeah,i know that.i just wanted to make sure people knew that not all crays will kill there fishys

It is a myth that every tank needs bottom feeders. Regular gravel vacs and cutting back on feeding will be sufficient to take care of waste in the gravel.

yeah,i know that.i just wanted to make sure people knew that not all crays will kill there fishys

All larger crays will, eventually, if given the opportunity. That is their nature; they are opportunists. A couple of months with a cray in a tank with fish does not equal long-term success, nor does it equal the exception to the rule.

Back
Top Bottom