Bottom Feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29G tank that has 2 male guppies and 4 female guppies. The tank is just over one week old. Two of the female guppies look like they are going to have fry soon. Anyways, any suggestions for some bottom feeders??? Shrimp look interesting. Do they need any special attention?? What should i be looking for??

Shrimps will make your tank more interesting, or you can also buy loaches, like clown loaches. Don't buy a common pleco, they grow really big, but instead get a clown pleco, they only grow to about 4"

I agree that you shouldnt buy any more fish until you finish the cycle. As for the pleco, true a common pleco will out grow that tank eventually, but then again so will a clown loach. If you are interested in loaches there are loaches that wont outgrow your tank, or as you said you can go for the shrimp.

Go with otos, they stay small, two inches, and clean like crazy. Make sure you get an amonia kit to test for amonia levels before you add more fish.

A nice little pack of cory cats would be great in there, and you can still get shrimp, too. I enjoy watching shrimp do their thing.

But as mentioned above, the cycle needs to be completed first, or you can get some BioSpira to get things cycled and save the fry.

Good luck!

*nods and agrees with all thats been said*

There are a number of choices for bottom feeders. With a 29g some of the smaller loaches or plecos might be an option (clown loaches will top out around 12 inches, common plecos 24 inches if well cared for; too large for a 29g). A school of corys would be great to watch as well as a bunch of shrimp (cherry shrimp, grass/ghost shrimp would be some fun options).

Thing is, til the tank is fully cycled you shouldn't add any more living creatures. I suggest also reading this article to get a handle on what the nitrogen cycle is: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html . Also, any new fish should be quaratined a minimum of 2 weeks (or more) before adding them to your main tank. It would suck to finally cycle the tank, then muck up the cycle because a new fish was ill and you had to medicate the tank.

Hi there!

I love my albino cory; it's a tough little critter and even my betta in the community tank didn't bother it; it's a great cleaner and very active. I also just bought for my other tank a small loach; it's interesting and very enthusiastic about cleaning the bottom! Also, a just got a dwarf African clawed toad; so far I haven't seen him cleaning, but that's a possible bottom dweller you could also consider.

Back
Top Bottom