Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

bottom feeders

I've been watching my tanks, and I think I need to get a bottom feeder for my 10g tanks....my tiger barbs in the large tank do a lot of bottom feeding, so they take good care of that area. I would like to get some small ones....I've seen plecos that are huge, so don't want to get one of those...the cory cats are nicely coloured, so was considering those, but not sure how big they get...Does anyone have species that they like?

Old 01-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My favorite for small tanks is the Panda Cory . Pygmy Cories also stay pretty small and are great for a tank your size.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

IMHO, there is no better bottom feeder than cories and dwarf plecos. That being said, I would recommend a bristlenose. Great size for the tank.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
Pitbull plecos are even smaller than the bristlenose and the clowns stay small as well... i've seen some rather large bristlenose and I had one in my 10 gal and i really believe he was far too cramped in it and eventually ended up jumping to his death before I could move him. If you're not worried about the glass, I think your best bet would be cory cats... but you would need a small group of them cause they do like to school.

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
bunebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I just got a clown pleco myself, they get to be about 3-4". They sure are cute! And he has been non stop cleaning since I acclimated him. Of course a BN pleco is so cool too, JC got me addicted to them. I have one in my 20 gal. Choices choices. LOL.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I love cories, I'll never have a community tank without them. lol
Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Arshis Send a message via Yahoo to Arshis
Ive had good luck with corys over plecos in my cichlid tanks.
Some reasson when I have plecos and cichlids the plecos kinda disappear. hehe
Most my cichlids are messy eaters turning 1 stick of floating food into 120 bits of sinking food.
I have 4 jade corys with stuffed tummies. And they only grow up to 3inches or so.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to rippin17 Send a message via Yahoo to rippin17
pitbull plecos i believe only get to be about 2 inches or so... i dont kno much about cories and that so i cant reccommend anythign when it comes to them...

but i believe the pitbull only gets about 2 inches
29g AGA African Cichlid Tank, Cascade Canister Filter, Penguin Bio-Wheel, Powersweep Powerhead T-5 Lighting Moonlight Strip Carib-Sea Substrate 40 lbs of Carved Limestone 5 lbs of Lace Rock 8 lbs of Slate::1 Synodontis Multipunctus, 2 Melonchromis Auratus (male and female), 1 Melonchromis Johanni (male), 1 Blue Peacock (not sure of sex), 1 Venustus (female), 1 Tropheus Moorii (male), 1 Red Zebra (unsure of sex), 1 Electric Yellow Lab (male)
rippin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
My red tailed shark does a good at keeping the bottom and some ornaments clean, hes really timid though, today was actually the first day hes came out of his little cave since i got him about a week and a half ago, Alot of people say they get aggressive, especially with barbs, I have 3 Tiger Barbs and him in my ten gallon and they love each other, plus the red tailed shark only gets to about 6 inches long, so hes not as monsterous as some of the plecos and hesa beautifully colored fish
Old 01-16-2006, 02:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
Ok, there's far to many people talkin about Pleco's here. When in truth, all must bow down to the absolute greatness of Cory's! Panda's and Bandit Cory's being the cutest of the bunch, emeralds and Julii's being the more common but still great cleaner and entertainment fishes. Plus the larger the group, the greater the entertainment value.

Pleco's are cool and all, but they have all the personality of a bulldozer, head butting poor cories away from food at any chance, or anything else in the way for that matter.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Yeah, I just put 4 emerald cories in my 55g tank and they're so great. They never are apart from another one it seems. I want to add more!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Khuli loaches, maybe?

29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom, bottom feeder, feeders

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com