Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2004, 08:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Bottom of the barrel

I feed my cichlids Nutra-Fin spirulina flakes. I chose this as their main diet because the first ingredient is spirulina algae (most others use fish meal as main ingredient). When I first open the container, the flakes are nice and big. But by the time I get to the last 10-15% of the canister, I wind up with spirulina dust and very tiny flakes (2mm x 2mm). I don't want to pour powder or tiny flakes into my tank so I end up just throwing it away.

Does everybody else do the same or are there better uses for it. It just seems wasteful to pay $8 for something that I don't even get full use from...

Old 05-07-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree deli-conker. But I feel the same way about a bag of potato chips.

Old 05-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I find flakes to be too messy to feed to cichlids. My cichlids get sinking cichlid pellets alternating with cucumbers, zucchini, peas and the ocassional blood worms.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I save the tiny little crumbs for my fry. But, then again, I don't have cichlids, just smaller fish (mostly live bearers).
Old 05-07-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know what you're talking about - I've notioced the same thing with my Ocean Nutrition community diet flakes.

Look at it this way, by the time you've gotten down to the bottom, the food has probably lost a good deal of nutritive value to oxidation. Maybe it's just as well you replace it.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It happens with every brand of food.

I have a 2.2ounce and a 12 ounce bucket of Omega One. Nice big flakes, but as you pick out food and move the container, flakes get crushed.

the crushed flakes settles eventually to the bottom.

IMHO, the crushed flakes are due to human error. Atleast on my part, because I have hidiously large hands
Old 05-07-2004, 06:25 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Pity that, unlike with potato chips, you can't just straighten out the side of the bag, tilt your head, and pour the last crumbs into your mouth. That's what I always do!

Not sure why you'd feel the need to throw away those tiny flakes. My fish still eat small flakes; in fact I usually break the flakes up for the smaller ones.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Pity that, unlike with potato chips, you can't just straighten out the side of the bag, tilt your head, and pour the last crumbs into your mouth. That's what I always do!
lol

Quote:
My fish still eat small flakes; in fact I usually break the flakes up for the smaller ones.
Unfortunately mine don't. They end up gunking my filter. Not nearly as bad as brine shrimp, but gunked none the less.

I may try the earlier suggestion on sinking pellets just for s&g...

Tags
bottom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com