Bottom of the barrel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I feed my cichlids Nutra-Fin spirulina flakes. I chose this as their main diet because the first ingredient is spirulina algae (most others use fish meal as main ingredient). When I first open the container, the flakes are nice and big. But by the time I get to the last 10-15% of the canister, I wind up with spirulina dust and very tiny flakes (2mm x 2mm). I don't want to pour powder or tiny flakes into my tank so I end up just throwing it away.

Does everybody else do the same or are there better uses for it. It just seems wasteful to pay $8 for something that I don't even get full use from...

I agree deli-conker. But I feel the same way about a bag of potato chips. :D

I find flakes to be too messy to feed to cichlids. My cichlids get sinking cichlid pellets alternating with cucumbers, zucchini, peas and the ocassional blood worms.

I save the tiny little crumbs for my fry. But, then again, I don't have cichlids, just smaller fish (mostly live bearers).

I know what you're talking about - I've notioced the same thing with my Ocean Nutrition community diet flakes.

Look at it this way, by the time you've gotten down to the bottom, the food has probably lost a good deal of nutritive value to oxidation. Maybe it's just as well you replace it.

It happens with every brand of food.

I have a 2.2ounce and a 12 ounce bucket of Omega One. Nice big flakes, but as you pick out food and move the container, flakes get crushed.

the crushed flakes settles eventually to the bottom.

IMHO, the crushed flakes are due to human error. Atleast on my part, because I have hidiously large hands :lol:

Pity that, unlike with potato chips, you can't just straighten out the side of the bag, tilt your head, and pour the last crumbs into your mouth. That's what I always do!

Not sure why you'd feel the need to throw away those tiny flakes. My fish still eat small flakes; in fact I usually break the flakes up for the smaller ones.

Pity that, unlike with potato chips, you can't just straighten out the side of the bag, tilt your head, and pour the last crumbs into your mouth. That's what I always do!
lol

My fish still eat small flakes; in fact I usually break the flakes up for the smaller ones.
Unfortunately mine don't. They end up gunking my filter. Not nearly as bad as brine shrimp, but gunked none the less.

I may try the earlier suggestion on sinking pellets just for s&g...

Back
Top Bottom