Bottomfeeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmore2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm after some bottom dwelling fish. I am leaning towards corys. I want a school to keep them in a school (which is recommended). Also I want a stand alone bottomfeeder such a a pleco. But one that doesn't get huge. I was thinking about getting golden bristle nose.

You could also go for Kigali loaches. They have a very interesting body shape, and they will hang out together. Look them up on google. Depending on your tank size you could do both.

Tank is 60gallons. Is 1.5m long x 38cm wide x 40cm deep. I have 10 neons and a honey gourami at the moment. But intend on getting a school of cherry barbs a pearl gourami angelfish and GBR later on.

Corydoras are my pick aswell so far. But kuhuli loaches get big and ugly (IMO) and I don't want a school of them. One would be nice. But that's not how it works unfortunately. Haha

Corydoras are my pick aswell so far. But kuhuli loaches get big and ugly (IMO) and I don't want a school of them. One would be nice. But that's not how it works unfortunately. Haha

most corydoras get 2-3 inches and quite fat while kuhliis get 3-4 inches and stay skinny, if you don't over feed. i don't know how you think they are ugly, i love my kuhliis :) honestly i think kuhlis have a smaller bioload
img_2619192_0_652e8b5e76b48981c6fcd3aa59f3f0f1.jpg

How big do kuhuli loaches get? I've been told 4"

Yup 4 inches, but they are skinny, so putting 20 in there if you don't add any other bottom feeders will be ok
But if you are adding a school of Cory's depending on the size of the Cory school, you can add from 8-12 kuhlis

Okay that loach is cool. What size schools do they require. I like the sound of 5corys and loaches now haha. I thought kahulis looked different. But that pic above has now converted me to a loach lover :p

I would prefer fewers loaches more corys. Do maybe 5 of each??

Okay that loach is cool. What size schools do they require. I like the sound of 5corys and loaches now haha. I thought kahulis looked different. But that pic above has now converted me to a loach lover :p

for a tank that size, i would suggest at least 10. otherwise they will be very shy and hide all the time, if they don't have enough if their own kind.

as long as your substrate isn't sharp then yes. both corydoras and kuhliis prefer sand, but will also do well with gravel that isn't sharp, as long as you keep it clean.

I have Hort sand as a substrate. Ill check with LPS first

horticulture sand? did it say anything about being lime free? if not you will need to take a little bit out and vinegar test it. if it bubbles it will not be suitable for any of the fish you want to keep

Yea, 8 loaches and 5 Cory's is ok, but if course with 10 kuhlis you will see a lot more action going on, here are mine, I have 5 in my 29 gallon and they are very cool! I have the pure black variety though
img_2619266_0_28995f9ca0c539dccb1b17d6ee84277c.jpg
img_2619266_1_733de9d15d9143180a0008dd7002fe36.jpg

Back
Top Bottom