Bought Some Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 30 gal set up and yesterday i purchased some 'Quick Start' API stuff for my tank. I also ended up buying some Comet Goldfish, since i was sick of waiting...They're all doing fine in their new home~ :) The picture is of my largest one, his name's Ripfin~

Attachments

• image-1710147810.jpg
    image-1710147810.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 147
sharkiegirl94 said:
I got a 30 gal set up and yesterday i purchased some 'Quick Start' API stuff for my tank. I also ended up buying some Comet Goldfish, since i was sick of waiting...They're all doing fine in their new home~ :) The picture is of my largest one, his name's Ripfin~

How many goldfish did you buy? You apparently didn't cycle your tank. I'm not gonna preach because I too did the same an ended up doing a fish in cycle. Do you own a API freshwater master test kit? I have a feeling your gonna be using that a lot along with a lot of water changes. You do know goldfish are poop machines am have no stomach so in it goes and right out it goes. The water conditions can deteriorate very rapidly in that tank.

I also don't buy into those quick start or instant cycle products they sell. A tank should be properly cycled before adding fish as I found out the hard way. That's NOT to say you can't do a fish-in-cycle, but it takes patience and a lot of hard work. Test Test Test... Water changes Water changes Water changes... Sometimes more then 1 a day! I was doing 2-3 a day on my 75g tank.

Good luck though. Pretty fish.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
How many did you end up getting? That one pictured is cute.

*convict beat me to it :p

Haha!! Can't sleep, back is KILLING me...

Actually I have a few more questions for the OP. what did the set up consist of? Filter? What kind? Your probably gonna want to upgrade to a larger filter with those goldfish in that tank. Do you have a full tank shot?

Ughhh...yes i know goldfish are a menace to a good tank...i really dont care how much work i have to do. This is what i wanted, fish. Even if i have to clean out the entire tank myself, i dont care. They'll probably die anyways...

sharkiegirl94 said:
They'll probably die anyways...

Please don't look at things that way, we are just trying to give you the best advice possible. We (including me especially) have all made our beginner errors that is how you learn and get to be the best fish keeper possible. Stay positive, do lots of water changes and I hope that if you are able to one day you can upgrade the tank. With good care comets can get 12 in. or larger and can live for years.

Thank you...I'm sorry for being negative...I was having a bad morning and none of my fish in the past have lived past a week or two, but that was years ago. Thanks for the advice, I apologize for my behavior.

sharkiegirl94 said:
Thank you...I'm sorry for being negative...I was having a bad morning and none of my fish in the past have lived past a week or two, but that was years ago. Thanks for the advice, I apologize for my behavior.

Its easy to get defensive on here when you feel like people are criticizing but keep in mind that we are not poking at you just trying to help :)
how many comets did you get?

Ok with goldies its recommended to have 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for each one after that. since the tank is currently in a fish in cycle keep up with water changes, especially with goldfish they are very messy. although I love goldfish I found a new home for the ones I had and switched to tropical fish and could not be happier :) they are so much easier to clean after, my water stays cleaner longer, and plus I've had many opportunities to witness my fish have live births which is very exciting to see, I never get tired of it.

With fancy goldfish most people go with the 20g for 1 +10g for each additional. Comet/shubunkin/common etc however get really big because they don't have the spinal deformity that fancy goldfish do, so they really should eventually be in very large tanks or preferably a pond.

jetajockey said:
With fancy goldfish most people go with the 20g for 1 +10g for each additional. Comet/shubunkin/common etc however get really big because they don't have the spinal deformity that fancy goldfish do, so they really should eventually be in very large tanks or preferably a pond.

The stock rule I've heard for comets/shubunkins/commons is 55 for the first and add 30 gal for every fish after
So,(left column is fish amount right is tank size)
1-55
2-85
3-115
4-145
5-175
6-205
7-235
8-265
9-295
10-325
And so on

sharkiegirl94 said:
One of them died recently, he was the smallest...probably food competition?

Hard to believe that was food competition, unless you can confirm that the fish was not eating... Probably ammonia poisoning? Nitrites poisoning?
I saw a recommendation early to buy an API master kit, did you buy it? What are your readings of ammonia and nitrites?

He wasn't eating much at all even when food was present in front of him. I did indeed purchase a master test kit...I assume their is a problem with the ammonia levels...however, my kit has not been delivered yet (ordered yesterday)...should be here by Thursday.

If he wasn't eating much when food was present, it wasn't food competition. It was likely from the the parameters. Do a big pwc.

Its only been about a week since the tank was set up right? Its in the process of cycling, keep up with water changes especially with goldies, they make your tank twice as dirty, twice as fast

Back
Top Bottom