Bought some stuff, I now have questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 10g tank that has 3 guppies, 3 neon tetras, 1 peppered cory, and 11 guppy fry. I recently bought some things from my petsmart to make the tank look better, but I have some questions:

1.) I got an under-gravel bubble wall maker, and put it at the back of my tank. I love the bubbles but the center of it isn't producing any bubbles at all, how do I fix this?

View attachment 86081

View attachment 86082

2.) I got an anaubias plant, does it have to go through a stage where it goes from emersed to submersed?

View attachment 86083

3.) I've also gotten some wisteria, but they were only stems at the bottom and only one had roots, is burying the bottoms a good idea? And I it safe to leave then floating like this?

View attachment 86085

View attachment 86084

4.) I have some amazon swords I've gotten out of my brothers and sisters plant packs because they looked half dead. I pulled the really dead leaves off them and ended up with two bulbs and one plant with only a single leaf. Will they grow?

View attachment 86086

Adding to #3:

Will the wisteria have to go through a emersed to submersed stage as well?

alia258 said:
Have a 10g tank that has 3 guppies, 3 neon tetras, 1 peppered cory, and 11 guppy fry. I recently bought some things from my petsmart to make the tank look better, but I have some questions:

1.) I got an under-gravel bubble wall maker, and put it at the back of my tank. I love the bubbles but the center of it isn't producing any bubbles at all, how do I fix this?

2.) I got an anaubias plant, does it have to go through a stage where it goes from emersed to submersed?

3.) I've also gotten some wisteria, but they were only stems at the bottom and only one had roots, is burying the bottoms a good idea? And I it safe to leave then floating like this?

4.) I have some amazon swords I've gotten out of my brothers and sisters plant packs because they looked half dead. I pulled the really dead leaves off them and ended up with two bulbs and one plant with only a single leaf. Will they grow?

1: It may need to soak/mature a bit. Give it time or turn up the air pressure.

2: No, not usually. Anubias rarely go though acclimation melt.

3: Wisteria is a root feeder. It is best to plant it with root tabs. The bare stem will produce roots. Yes, it looks like that is all emersed growth and will likely die off after a short span.

4: Yes, they should. Plant with root tabs. Do not bury too deep, leave the top sticking out of the substrate.

Thanks for your answers! I was wondering something else about the anaubis, which happens to be anaubis nana, does it prefer growing attached to seine thing or is it fine left in the substrate? And will it grow if I use fishing line to attach it to this (pic below) or maybe the bigger thing (second pic below) or do I need to get a rock for it to grow on? And can I get a rock from my backyard? (they're river rocks, but there's no actual water on them) would bleach be useful for cleaning the rock as well?

alia258 said:
Thanks for your answers! I was wondering something else about the anaubis, which happens to be anaubis nana, does it prefer growing attached to seine thing or is it fine left in the substrate? And will it grow if I use fishing line to attach it to this (pic below) or maybe the bigger thing (second pic below) or do I need to get a rock for it to grow on? And can I get a rock from my backyard? (they're river rocks, but there's no actual water on them) would bleach be useful for cleaning the rock as well?

Anubias can be grown planted in the substrate but be careful NOT to cover the rhizome. If you do it will not do well at all and may even start to rot. I have found it easiest to tie or glue it to a rock, then it is easier to move around. I don't see your pic but, as long as it is not totally smooth (glass, PVC, etc), any surface will do (rock, wood, ornament, etc). Bleaching the rock may be overkill but, if you do, make sure to soak it in dechlorinator for a while and then let it dry in the sun for a couple of days, turning occasionally. Make sure to give the rock in question a good scrubbing with a stiff brush.

Oh and I'm dropping the rock from the backyard if the decor in there will suffice for a thing for it to grow on :)

Yeah, that should work perfectly. You can use thread and by the time the thread deteriorates it will have attached itself. You should tie it loosely though so that it doesn't cut into the plant as it grows. I, personally, use gel superglue (note GEL, not the runny stuff). Just one or two dabs and you are done.

I think I'll use some fishing line actually, i don't want to be able to see the thread. How long ghouls I leave the fishing line on before I cut it off?

And I have another question about my air stone, to make the middle have more bubbles can I poke a needle into it? And by soaking, what did you mean exactly? And is it possible to just leave it the way it is and expect more bubbles to gradually come out?

alia258 said:
I think I'll use some fishing line actually, i don't want to be able to see the thread. How long ghouls I leave the fishing line on before I cut it off?

And I have another question about my air stone, to make the middle have more bubbles can I poke a needle into it? And by soaking, what did you mean exactly? And is it possible to just leave it the way it is and expect more bubbles to gradually come out?

Fishing line is difficult to use, thread works much better as it is much easier to handle. Use black or something dark. Superglue GEL is the easiest by far. It may take a few weeks to a couple of months for the Anubias to attach itself.

I don't think poking holes in the air stone will do anything but make large bubbles. Soaking: just leave it be for a week and see if it evens out. You can try wiggling it around a bit or reposition it to get a more even distribution. Can you turn up the air pressure or are you maxed out? Longer stones need greater pressure to work better. Some huge ones have inlet barbs at both ends to attach two pumps.

I have a 8" air stone and a 10g pump, I can't turn it up. So leaving it alone would be best? I don't have any gel glue to use so I guess I'm using thread. So now I want your opinion, should I put the anaubis on the small detached column (turned sideways of course) or should I put it on the larger thing? And if I put it on the larger thing, where exactly?

Yes, give it a few days.

Opinion... On the large one attached to the fallen column.

I agree with the opinion, that was my thought exactly! And letting the air stone sit for a few days is easy, but do I need to turn off the air pump or is it okay to leave it on?

The air stone part in the middle is now creating one bubble every 3-4 seconds. No where near the rest of the stone creating 10-30 bubbles every second, but working its way up there.

I tied the anaubis down on my decor, here's a pic:

View attachment 86286

View attachment 86287

View attachment 86288

I used extra durable string so I doubt that it'll deteriorate on its own, so I should wait a month before cutting it off, right? Just double checking. Also, my guppy happens to crave attention, so he snuck into my picture of the anaubis, silly little Tiger ^^ does the plant look healthy to you?

Back
Top Bottom