bought used tank, has slight leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought this 29 gal at a moving sale. It had water in it, when I first looked at it. I cleaned it up, brought it in...The tank had a small layer of water inside, when I was drying underneath one side the paper towel would get wet. So I am assuming I need to reseal. It leaked on one side. Can I just reseal there or do I have to do the whole tank. Is it neccesary to scrape off existing silicone ? Thanks in advance.

new silicone won't stick to old silicone. You'll have to remove all the old silicone and re do it.

Thanks for the link. I had done some searching but I did not see this one. It states to reseal 3 inches on both sides of leak.. I think I will do this. I really did not want to seal the whole tank over such a small leak on one side.

I had this problem with a 90 gallon I bought, it wasn't leaking but the seals were chipped up pretty bad. I used a razor blade and removed a section of sealent at a time, applied new silicone and then did the same to the remaining sections. I did this mainly in fear of the tank falling apart if I removed it all at once. I've done two leak tests so far and so far so good, I did leave the tank full for 3 days each time and then pumped it all back out and repeated after letting the tank sit for a week.

Back
Top Bottom