Bow-Front Tanks and vision clarity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CiRXSi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering getting another tank, and the lfs has some good deals on some of the bow-fronts. I may also go with a standard 29 gal. On my 7 gal bow-front (I've heard other people mention this too) visibility is fine. But when I get a couple inches from the glass to really look at something, it really messes with your vision. Are the larger bow fronts (28 gal) like this too, or does being bigger take that blurrieness away? ALSO, I am quite tempted to take some of my tax return and splurge on the 36 gal corner tank. This tank (for those of you that know what I'm talking about) has an even greater angle to the bow. Anyone have one of these? How's your vision on that one?

TIA

you could try a hex. i think it will always be like that... have you ever looked into one of those convex/concave crystal pirces of glass no matter wat size

You can get some bad views from a Bow Front tank, but usually it looks just fine. If you move around and look for distortion, you can find it pretty easily. No one that has looked into my tank has ever noticed, until I said something about it.

Grimmy nailed it. I have 2 bows (46 and 72) and there is little distortion up close but it seems to be in specific areas. I really believe it depends on personal preference. Some like it, some don't. What you think is most important.

R-

I have a 7 gal bow and the distortion magnifies the cory in a pleasing way. Unfortunately, it makes my betta look like a hideous freak of nature - that's why I'm moving him to another tank.

I guess it's all personal preference in the end, but I find that bowfronts offer flattering views of smallerl fish while grossly distorting the view of large fish with long, flowing fins.

lfs owner told me that he does not like the bows because of that and in his opinion you have to go with the 120? bow to eliminate the problem think he said 120

My preference is the old fashon tank. I would take the money you would spend on the bow front and use it to buy a bigger rectangular tank. The bigger the tank the eaiser it is to keep clean. A larger ecosystem is harder to mess up than a small one.

Back
Top Bottom