Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to chiefs101 Send a message via MSN to chiefs101
brackish fish in a fw tank

Is it ok to put a brackish fish in a freshwater tank. Or would it be best to put a small amount of salt into it? would that hurt my other fish

Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of brackish fish? If it is currently in a brackish tank, it may be shocked from the change. Some brackish fish, such as Mollies are perfectly fine in freshwater environments from many years of breeding in freshwater environments. Then again, there are some brackish fish that need to be converted to saltwater as they age.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to chiefs101 Send a message via MSN to chiefs101
bumble bee goby (Brachygobius doriae)
Old 10-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
i would put them in full bw right away. Mine that ive had over time never did good in the long run. They will live a while but its best to just give them the right conditions and let them live a full and healthy life.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I used to have bb gobies and they slowly died over a 6 month period in a FW tank. They are slow and are easily out-competed for food and they REALLY do need salt in their tank. I do not recommend adding marine salt to an established FW tank. Bb gobies (and other BW fish) need the minerals found in marine salt, not regular aquarium salt. Some people will come on and say they have had "success" with keeping bb gobies in a FW tank, but they are best to be kept in what they evolved to be in. Since bb gobies are sold usually as FW, it is best to slowly acclimate them while they are in QT. You can see pics of my established BW tank in my gallery. Many of my gobies have been with me for well over a year and they are active. A bb gobie that just sits at the bottom of the tank is not a healthy/"happy" bb gobie.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Those fish need full brakish, and die in straight fresh. They are slow but can be nasty to others in the tank so be sure that your other brakish fish in the tank can hold their own.

44 Gallon Corner Mbuna

5 Yellow Labs
2 Jewel Cichlids (Biggest Finally full blown red!
1 Common Pleco
2 Ghost Shrimp (Still Living? :SD )
DevinJM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brackish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com