brackish fish in a fw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiefs101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it ok to put a brackish fish in a freshwater tank. Or would it be best to put a small amount of salt into it? would that hurt my other fish

What kind of brackish fish? If it is currently in a brackish tank, it may be shocked from the change. Some brackish fish, such as Mollies are perfectly fine in freshwater environments from many years of breeding in freshwater environments. Then again, there are some brackish fish that need to be converted to saltwater as they age.

i would put them in full bw right away. Mine that ive had over time never did good in the long run. They will live a while but its best to just give them the right conditions and let them live a full and healthy life.

I used to have bb gobies and they slowly died over a 6 month period in a FW tank. They are slow and are easily out-competed for food and they REALLY do need salt in their tank. I do not recommend adding marine salt to an established FW tank. Bb gobies (and other BW fish) need the minerals found in marine salt, not regular aquarium salt. Some people will come on and say they have had "success" with keeping bb gobies in a FW tank, but they are best to be kept in what they evolved to be in. Since bb gobies are sold usually as FW, it is best to slowly acclimate them while they are in QT. You can see pics of my established BW tank in my gallery. Many of my gobies have been with me for well over a year and they are active. A bb gobie that just sits at the bottom of the tank is not a healthy/"happy" bb gobie.

Those fish need full brakish, and die in straight fresh. They are slow but can be nasty to others in the tank so be sure that your other brakish fish in the tank can hold their own.

Back
Top Bottom