Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2005, 03:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to wright4lfe Send a message via Yahoo to wright4lfe
brackish plecos?

looking to put together a brackish tank with 3-5 mono's in an 80gl. would like to have a pleco or two. any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that might be a great looking tank, and an interesting idea. The thing is I've never heard of a pleco that's tolerant of salt. Suggest you send a PM to madasafish. He's got alot of knowledge on plecos.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had some plecos tolerate small amount of salt, but generally plecos don't live in area where they could encounter brackish water. My salt content was never over 1.005. Some of the larger species of plecos such as the pleco Hypostomus, are very robust and with care can be kept in slightly brackish aquaria, below a specific gravity of 1.005. Some of the more delacite species such as Gold Nuggets or Queen Arabesque will not tolerate almost any salt.

Fresh water fish might be able to survive in brackish water but will have a shortened lifespan and will not be at their best - it will not be the ideal conditions for the fish.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
ive had my plecos tolerate a small amount of salt... lets say a few table spoons full or whatever it is (don't know the exacty SG) but, then I've had two, they were smvaller ones that didn't seem to tolerate it at all and sadly died :|

i think it may depend on how well you introduce the salt or the plecos to the tank. i think if its gradual it might workout fine..

HTH,
thane
-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
I'd forget about plecos, since the monos will have to be brought up to marine conditions eventually anyway. Plus, the fact that plecos don't like salt at all. You'll just have to do your own maid service. Also, an 80g won't be large enough for 5 1' fish (3 isn't a school).

Pufferpunk's Tanks
https://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brackish, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com