Brackish tank cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
whats the added cost of running a brackish tank? can anyone with experience fill me in? i was thinking of setting up something around 1.005 salinity, and i know that means marine salt for each WC, but what cost am i looking at to keep that going?

whats the added cost of running a brackish tank? can anyone with experience fill me in? i was thinking of setting up something around 1.005 salinity, and i know that means marine salt for each WC, but what cost am i looking at to keep that going?

I use Indian Ocean salt (small box is 8.99) and it's about 1/2 full after close to 2 months @ 1.003 SG. The one thing I do recommend is a refractometer to check your SG, it much more accurate than a hydrometer.

Here's the one I got and it works great: NEW! Salinity Refractometer 4 Aquarium Ocean Hydrometer | eBay

okay, so overall, your not paying all the much to buy salt, how big is the box (lbs?) ... how long do you think a 10 lb bag would last...my salinity will probably be 1.003-1.004 and im going to shoot for 40% per week WC

oh perfect. looks like you dont so much salt after all. how much salt do you add to PWC? i do mine with a 2.5 gal bucket.

oh perfect. looks like you dont so much salt after all. how much salt do you add to PWC? i do mine with a 2.5 gal bucket.

Normally, 5 tbsps per 5g bucket. But I'm bumping my SG up so this week I did 8 tbsps and the nice thing about brackish is, if it goes up or down a bit, it doesn't hurt since that's what happens in nature anyways :D. I use my refracto everyday, sometimes twice like this week with the SG bump. It's as important as my API test kit.

FYI: API told me to use the FW test kit for BW.

i think ill start my conversion tonight then...perhaps ill do a 30%WC with just a bit of salt in order to lower the salinity just a bit for now. thanks for the help

i have 2 buckets, both the same size, one i filled with water to go into the tank, i just added 3 TBS of instant ocean marine salt....how long should i wait to let it dissolve? i want to test its salinity(all i have is a hydrometer, i will for sure look for a good refractometer). The other bucket ill use to take water out of the tank.

just did a 25% WC....the salinity of the water added was 1.008..therefor, max my salinity now should be 1.001.... im sure it wont be even there yet, but i want to go slow.

Back
Top Bottom