Brackish waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bioworldmaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Here is what I want to do:
I want to set up a tank for a Figure-8 puffer fish. This will be a tank for one F-8 puffer fish alone, so I am thinking maybe a 10gal will do it.

Although there is a certain controversy on whether that fish is FW or brackish, I guess I am leaning towards a "fluctuating" environment, that is, sometimes fresh, sometimes brackish, but mostly slightly brackish (i.e. 1.005 or so density).

According to my "homework", these fish enjoy a lot of plants, hidding places, and water conditions are pH neutral (7) and hard water (8 DH).
I intend to start FW, do a fishless cycle, add a few hardy plants (and let them stablish themselves) and slowly transition to brackish by increasing the salinity, and increasing the hardness by adding some calcareous media. All of that before adding the F-8.

One reason why I would like to have "live plants" is mostly because I like the natural look, plus I would like to grow some snails in that tank as well, if possible, giving the fish an "open buffet" in which he can go feast anytime. Snails are usually pretty hardy, but do they tolerate brackish water? Or would it be better just to use plastic plants in the brackish tank and have a separated snail tank, since there are so many limitations as to which plants will thrive in brackish, hard waters?

Do you think that is a good plan? Advice, critiques, etc.?

Since I am not going FW or SW, what kind of testing kit would be more apropriate? I am thinking that since I am doing the fishless cycle starting with FW maybe the FW kit would be better?

Thank you =)

Before you transfer the FW tank to BW, find out if the puffer is sold in FW. If that is the case, add the puffer after the tank cycles and slowly add in salt over a period of weeks.

Java fern can with stand some salt and mts do just fine. I don't know if puffers eat mts. Use a FW testing kit for the cycle, but afterwards, you will get some odd results for BW. I have not bought a SW kit for my brackish tank, just regular PWC and keep an eye on the fish.

Good point...

I guess I will probably have to order the F-8 online, since I have yet to find a local store that has that kind of fish. Sadly, most of the ones I've seen weren't looking that great...

I wonder if ordering online is any good.
I am thinking about ordering from www.aquariumfish.net, which is located in San Diego... It seems they have them as FW.

For plants, consider java ferns, and nerite snails are very happy in brackish water, and have shells hard enough that it should protect them against all but the largest of figure-8s.

Back
Top Bottom