Brainstorming an idea....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
For a while now I have been looking at getting a 300G tank. It's still in the thinking stage, and have an idea for the filtration, and thought I'd ask to see if anyone has done anything like it.

I'm looking at doing 2 XP4 filters. I was going to do 3, but have another option that I'm working on. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a tank drilled, and bulkheads put in, to hook a cannister filter to? I was looking at doing a 5/8" on each end of the tank, as well as 2 in the center, all 4 being very close to the bottom of the tank. On the exterior of the tank, the 2 center ones will hook up to the cannister output, and on the interior, there will be 2 spraybars, one going each direction along the bottom of the tank. Then for the other 2 holes, will be hooked up to the intake of the cannister filters. On the interior of the tank, I would have a 90 degree elbow and a short tube going up. And in 2 areas, there will be a t-connector, and off the T-connector will be the intake screens, and possibly a prefilter sponge over those intakes. The total height of the intake will only come up to about half way up the back of the tank.

What do you think, will it work? Will I see any problems priming the filters? The way I look at it, this will get rid of everything going over the top of the tank. I will use inline heaters, so no cords going into the tank either. Just brainstorming ideas here. Any input is appreciated.

I've seen people use bulkheads for canister filters - it would definitely work. I don't see a problem with it. However, I've never heard of anyone using bulkheads for spraybars. That's an interesting concept. Usually they use bulkheads for intake only and run the spray bars near the top of the tanks.

I don't know how well it would work but am excited for you if you get a 300G. Where would you put it?

This sounds like a great plan. I can think of no reason you would have problems with priming at all. In fact I think you would have less problems than with an over the side system. The over the side system works on a siphon, your method will actually tend to force water into the filters.

Consider modifying the plumbing on the exterior so that you can do pwc with the existing plumbing. You could valve off the filters and valve in the garden hose connection so that the tank could be drained and filled up using the suction and discharge plumbing in the tank.

Think of it, hook up your hose and turn a valve so that you are redirecting the water from the pump from the tank to the hose that runs to the drain. Then the turn of a couple more valves and you can shut off flow from the pump and send water from the sink to the tank via the spraybars.

Brainstorming.......

Zagz said:
I don't know how well it would work but am excited for you if you get a 300G. Where would you put it?

Master Bedroom, it's on concrete slab.

SparKy697 said:
This sounds like a great plan. I can think of no reason you would have problems with priming at all. In fact I think you would have less problems than with an over the side system. The over the side system works on a siphon, your method will actually tend to force water into the filters.

Consider modifying the plumbing on the exterior so that you can do pwc with the existing plumbing. You could valve off the filters and valve in the garden hose connection so that the tank could be drained and filled up using the suction and discharge plumbing in the tank.

Think of it, hook up your hose and turn a valve so that you are redirecting the water from the pump from the tank to the hose that runs to the drain. Then the turn of a couple more valves and you can shut off flow from the pump and send water from the sink to the tank via the spraybars.

Brainstorming.......
I was thinking about that for the draining, but because of the water temp, I'll still use the Python to fill it back up. That way I can have better temp control. The only problem I see is during the winter, when it's freezing outside. Not sure my sink drain will keep up with that pump. Could run it into the bathtub though.

Back
Top Bottom