Brand new aquarium heater doesn't seem to work!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManannanMacLir

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I went out and bought a brand new 200 Watt heater for my 45 gallon aquarium at a local Petsmart. I installed it two hours ago, but the water temperature does not seem to have changed noticeably. It is set on 79 degrees, but the temperature is remaining steady at 74 degrees. I followed all the directions to the letter, but for some reason it has not raised the temperature in the past two hours. Unfortunately, it does not feature a pilot light that turns on when the heater is active, so I don't have any hard evidence that it is malfunctioning. By the way, it is a Stealth 200 Visi-Therm submersible by Marineland.

Now I'm really angry at the woman I bought the tank setup from. The setup included two heaters, neither of which I can use, because they won't stick to the side of the glass. So I had to buy this new one for 36 dollars, and I also have to buy a new hood, because the one she gave me has a broken ballast and doesn't even fit inside the grooves on the top of the tank. Fortunately, she agreed to give me a partial refund for my trouble. I feel like an idiot for assuming that she would sell me equipment that worked.

Sorry to vent like this, but I need some advice about this new heater I bought. Would Petsmart refund me the money? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Or does the heater need more time to heat up the tank?

I have the same heater. If the temp doesn't go up at least 2 degrees by tomorrow I'd return it. There shouldn't be an issue with the store assuming you kept the receipt. If the equipment is faulty there's no reason for them to deny a refund.

Okay, I'll wait until tomorrow, and see what happens. Maybe the temperature change was so gradual that I didn't notice it. Did it take long for your tank to be heated?

i got the 55 gal package from petsmart with the heater and filter, and stuff

i didnt think the petsmart brand heater worked for a bit, but finally it did, guess i just needed to break it in

a trick to see in the heater is working, is to shine a flashlight through the back of the heater, and you should be able to see the heat waves in the shadow, like how a really hot fire makes things around it wavy

just grabbing the heater doesnt always tell if it works or not

is your the top fin brand (petsmart brand)

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it is the Petsmart brand, I think it is a different brand.

2 things:

1st, put your hand in the water and grasp the heater. is it warm/hot? if so it IS working (at least somewhat).

2nd, are you sure your thermometer is correct? the strips thermom usually doesnt give an accurate reading.

3rd, go back and go straight to management. get what you deserve.

chotie,

I did what you suggested. I touched the heater and it was hot in my hand. So I guess it really is working after all! I guess it just takes a long time for it to adequately heat 45 gallons. Thanks everybody for your advice.

Something also to take into account is the thermometer that you are using. It may be inaccurate. In addition to that, do not go by the temp guage on the heater. In a perfect situation it would be exact. You'll need to change the dial to coincide with the temp that you desire. Let it run overnight and tomorrow check the thermometer. If it is too cool, turn the heater up a notch. If it is too hot, turn it down a notch. Maybe 1 out of 5 does the temp guage actually equal the temp of the tank. None of ours are exact. In my 55 the temp guage is set to 82 and it is actually 76.

I checked the tank this morning, and the temperature on the thermometer is now at 78 degrees (the heater is set at 79 degrees). So yes, it still is working.

For future info, PetsMart is great for returns; just save the receipt and they will give you yer money back without a problem. I love the Stealth heater I have; once it's set it stays within a half degree.

I think some of these heaters are made to deliberately increase the temperature only gradually so you don't stress the fish from the sudden temperature change.

Like plecoperson said, PetsMart does have a good return policy. I've never had any problems returning items that malfunctioned. They even gaurentee tanks and anything included with it (heaters, filters, etc...)

Yep, I returned an air pump to Petsmart simply because it was too noisy and I wanted a different brand. (I can't remember the brand of the one I returned but I sure am happy with my Whisper)

It may not matter now, however I just wanted to say that I have had a lot of heaters. When I got my new tank I tried out an Aqua Clear heater because I am so happy with their HOB's for smaller tanks. It is the most accurate one I have ever had. Always within 2 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom