Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Breaking Tank..Need HELP FAST!!!!!

Hello all

I just heard a very weird popping sounds and looked at my tank and saw that the plastic framing around the top is cracked.....

Would some JB WELD for plastics work on this or should I use some Epoxy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
And yes i did check the levelness and it does appear to be leaning out from the wall a bit perhaps the floor is starting to sag.....

Thanks
Jim

Old 11-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
What size tank? I'd lower the water level and use aquarium safe silicone. Question is depending on the length of your tank do you have any clamps that would hold it together until it sets up? The other alternative unfortunately not always able to be done, drain the tank, move the inhabitants to another tank or rubbermaid containers with filter and airstone, clean the area and silicone together. I have a crack in the plastic frame on one of my tanks, it has been siliconed and is holding very well. It was repaired with the fish in the tank by the first method I mentioned.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the plastic just cracked, I would make sure the tank isn't stressing at the seams. IME, the plastic trim will not crack unless the glass is pushing it beyond its tensile limit. What size tank is it? You may want to let some of the water down until you can verify that the seams are secure.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

definatly take out a good portion of the water because there is a big problem when the platic is cracking. Something is giving way somewhere and the platic is just a forewarning. How old is your tank? Is it level?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysoho
definatly take out a good portion of the water because there is a big problem when the platic is cracking. Something is giving way somewhere and the platic is just a forewarning. How old is your tank? Is it level?
Yes. You are going to have to drain some of the water, and when you fix the plastic, make sure you level the tank, other wise you will keep having this problem.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to aquarist15 Send a message via MSN to aquarist15 Send a message via Yahoo to aquarist15
you need to lower the water and use aquarium-safe sealer on the crack. if you can't find any. you may have to switch tanks

Currently I have a 10-gallon tank with 3 Serpae Tetras, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Platty and 4 Tetras. My Koi pond was recently devastated by Hurricane Wilma and 2 of my largest, most beautiful fish died plus one baby. I also have a Florida Cooter that died shortly after. Only 5 Koi Left.
aquarist15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com