Breaking Tank..Need HELP FAST!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jThessin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all

I just heard a very weird popping sounds and looked at my tank and saw that the plastic framing around the top is cracked.....

Would some JB WELD for plastics work on this or should I use some Epoxy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
And yes i did check the levelness and it does appear to be leaning out from the wall a bit perhaps the floor is starting to sag.....

Thanks
Jim

What size tank? I'd lower the water level and use aquarium safe silicone. Question is depending on the length of your tank do you have any clamps that would hold it together until it sets up? The other alternative unfortunately not always able to be done, drain the tank, move the inhabitants to another tank or rubbermaid containers with filter and airstone, clean the area and silicone together. I have a crack in the plastic frame on one of my tanks, it has been siliconed and is holding very well. It was repaired with the fish in the tank by the first method I mentioned.

If the plastic just cracked, I would make sure the tank isn't stressing at the seams. IME, the plastic trim will not crack unless the glass is pushing it beyond its tensile limit. What size tank is it? You may want to let some of the water down until you can verify that the seams are secure.

definatly take out a good portion of the water because there is a big problem when the platic is cracking. Something is giving way somewhere and the platic is just a forewarning. How old is your tank? Is it level?

rubysoho said:
definatly take out a good portion of the water because there is a big problem when the platic is cracking. Something is giving way somewhere and the platic is just a forewarning. How old is your tank? Is it level?
Yes. You are going to have to drain some of the water, and when you fix the plastic, make sure you level the tank, other wise you will keep having this problem.

Back
Top Bottom