breeding bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue_neon

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so two days ago i finally let my female out of the glass chimney and in the spawing tank but i was a little sad when all the female would do was run(when in the chimney she would confront him) but i figured that i could wait to take her out till the next day and that night i got a call from a friend asking if i wanted to go to a swap meet with her i said yes and i had to get up at 6:30(on a weekend) so i didnt have time to take the female out in the morning...so when i got home i checked all my tanks to make sure that everyone was ok and when i looked in my spawing tank i saw that the female and male were right next to each other so i sat there and looked at them extremely suprsied and excited i saw them embrace!!!!! i was so excited that as soon as i left the room i started to jump up and down but it has been almost 24 hours and i was wondering if it really only takes that long for the eggs to hatch? or is there any thing else that i should expect ?

I have never breeded (bread?) bettas, but I have done a little reading because I am interested in doing it in the future. You didn't say if there was a bubble nest, or if there were any eggs. If there are a bubble nest and eggs, you will most likely need to remove the female because the male gets very deffensive over guarding the fish.

I believe, although I am not 100% sure, that is takes roughly 24 hours for betta eggs to hatch.

Let me know how things go for you!

yeah there are eggs and yes i took out the female after breeding and no he didnt eat the eggs.... but now it has been 28 hours and i dont know if the eggs should be white or if they should be a color(like with zebra danios) or anything. could some one help me!!!!!!

I've never bred these guys, but if I were you, I wouldn't worry and would just let Mr. Daddy Betta take care of his nest. He's doing what he needs to do and the eggs will hatch when it's time! :wink:

Congrats on the spawn!!!
Running is normal at first.
Whats the temp? If its 80-84 then they will hatch in 24 hours, if its lower they will take longer. When they do hatch they will be super small, and hanging tail down from the nest. Once they become free swimming (3days after hatching) then daddy can be removed.
What foods do you have for the fry?

ashley

i have 1 live plant in the tank and im planning on feeding them liquifry until they can take bbs and crushed flake and fd foods ....i really want to give them all that other good food but i cant get any from my lfs and i cant get it from online (im only 17 and dont have a credit card to order it and my parents dont care for the fish) but the tank is at 76-78 and i cant wait for babies i hope i see some before i got to school in the morning... it would really make my day... but i got one more ? ....should the eggs be any certain color because the few that i can see are white

When I started off I used the same foods as you are going to use, it worked ok but to get them to really grow fast you gotta do lotsa water changes. I'am only 16 and my mom lets me use her credit card to buy stuff and i just pay her back. I guess i'am lucky since i know a lot of ppls parents wouldn't let them do that, but i know how to talk my mom into things lol :wink:

They will whitish to the naked eye but if you get a magnifying glass and look closer you will kinda see the little babies inside. Magnifying glasses come in handy :)

ashley

well i got babies.... but they are disappearing ......is daddy eating them or what? at first i counted like 40 of um and now i only see like 6.

(my mom doesn't like all my fish if she had it her way the fish would be in the frying pan .... but there is nothing that she can do cuz they are all in my room)

I'm going to try to bread some Betta's. Hope I have some luck. Just a quick question, why can't you just take "daddy" out when the eggs hatch?

Back
Top Bottom