Breeding Bolivian Rams ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlitouus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, for the new 20G tank, I am leaning more towards the Bolivian Rams, I'm thinking about putting a group of 6 to so I can breed them. Would it be a good idea to add 6 and an angel fish ? would they still breed?

Or Option 2, a Firemouth(One) and a group of 4-5 Bolivian Rams? Would the bolivians still be able to breed though?( I guess not but want to make sure). What do you guys think? the angelfish is an option if I can't put the firemouth in there if they won't breed with him inside.

When I was a kid, I used to have a firemouth in my room(my mom took care of him) and never had one again since he died(he died when I was 17, 2 years ago). So I'm hoping it's possible, but still I want to breed Bolivians. Would they even be compatible?(Forget about the breeding for a sec :angel:)
20G long

None of those options will work in a 20 long to be honest, and rams have a tendency to fight when in large groups in small quarters, and that tank is much too small for an angel. I would do a single pair of Bolivians and a school of tetras of some species, like Kerri, emperor, neon, Serpae, black neon, etc.

Well I want baby rams so sexing them is very hard( I already tried )

A firemouth won't be compatible with bolivian rams?

A six inch fish just isn't feasible to me in a 20 gallon tank. Do you want it to live, or live happily? Not to mention fire mouths can be quite territorial and I could imagine one claiming the entire tank as his/her territory

I guess your right... well I have a few other big tanks that I could use for the firemouth( a 40 as I want it in my room)... but that is if the bolivians and the firemouth get along... I guess it is not going to happen...

My buddy has baby fire mouths right now in a 20 with a German blue ram, but that's bc I had to rehouse the GBR bc he was too aggressive for my tank, plus my friend has a 40 gallon long cycling for them. In a larger tank, it may work, but not in a 20

I had the same problem in one of my tanks with the blue ram... he is small but is a big bully, lol.

thanks for the help, I appriciate.

I will try to move a 30-35G in my room, I will have to figure out what tank and which fish will get along from the other tanks.

Look into keyhole cichlids :) great in a community and beautiful in their own right! And they'd do well in a 30+ gallon tank as long as it is heavily planted and has a place they can call "home". Dicrossus species (like filamentosus or maculatus) are great in a community as well! I absolutely LOVE my maculatus, but they're quite difficult to find. Also look into apistogramma (cacatuoides, agasizzi, trifasciata, etc) species and laetacara species (curviceps) as well

I wanted to have mid size fish(Bolivians) and a big one for my bedroom. Since I had a firemouth when I was a kid and had loved him for years, I was trying to get one once again(they last long, now that I'm almost 20, it might even go on my future kid's room,LOL) .

Anyway, that was my idea, mid size fish(bigger than tetras) and a bigger one that would yell attention. I will try to move a 30G long to my room and see what I can put, I want them to be happy so it might take time to find a fish that meets my criteria.

Try Cupid cichlid too

But I get what you mean. There are larger tetra species though, like bleeding heart, buenos aires, or Congo.

I liked the keyholes, If I can't get a big enough tank for the firemouth, I will look into those after doing some research, Thanks!!

They're extremely docile from what I've read and heard from others, where as fire mouths can be a bit aggressive. If you are interested in them, pm Severum mama bc she's selling them :) 8$ each I believe plus shipping, not too bad at all

Back
Top Bottom