Breeding cage or different tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scooterbug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, here is the setup:

About 1.5 months ago we got our son a fish tank for his room. We set it up, let it run for about 2 weeks before stocking it with fish. After a mishap with a heater with no temp control, had to restock it with a few more fish. All is well and good, except one of the 3 mollies that are in the take just gave birth last night. I had a suspision that it was pregant but had not taken any steps to get a breeding net.
So, last night out pops about 30 baby mollies. My son is excited about it, so the next step is trying to get them to survive. I moved the adults over to a large bowl (half the water is from the tank, the other half is tap water). My question is...Do I use a breeding net or move the adults over to another tank?
We had a spare 20 gallon tank (minus filter and such..was using it for a turtle until we had gotten a bigger tank for it) I washed it out last night and filled it with tap water. I have been reading that mollies are hearty fish and can be used to help cycle a tank. If any of you were in this situation, what would you do?
Regardless, I guess a tip to the pet store is going to be in order. Just need to know what I need to pick up. Thanks.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I believe that a breeding net will be fine. Just place the babies in the net and put the adults back in the tank.

Now, I'm not sure that all 30 of these mollies are going to be able to live in this tank, it depends on the size.

Feel free to ask some more questions!

If your LFS will give some credit I'd let the babies grow up and trade them in for a few small fish to keep the mollies company :)

Well, you could trade them in for anything, plants, fish food, water conditioner, or technic (if you trade in enough of them).

See, that's why you "need"/want more and more tanks :wink: , it's a well known disease around here :lol: .

Mollies are going to breed like crazy. That's part of the reason why I usually recommend at least a 29 gal tank. Once they start, they don't stop. :D Plus, Mollies require a greater amount of swimming space than a 10 gal tank. If I were you, I'd return the males and have only females. That way they won't reproduce. I am also battling fish that won't stop breeding. :)

I would set up the 20 gal tank, move over everything from the 10 gal (decor, gravel, filter, heater, everything) and put all of the fish in the 20 gal tank. It will give them more space. Put the fry in a breeder net. Run the filter from the 10 gal on the 20 gal tank for several weeks in conjuction with the new filter. That way it is already partly cycled. Then when the new filter is seeded, put the filter from the 10 gal back on the 10 gal tank and put the fry in it for grow out.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the advice! Seems that for some odd reason, I believed that our orginial tank was 20 gallons. It was only 10. Oops! Went to the pet store (PetSmart) and purchased a whole new setup (heater, gravel, decor, filter, and such). This time it's a 20 gallon tank (Hence finding out that the first tank was only 10...it sure seemed like 20 :D ).

So the babies are occupying the 10 gallon along with the small dwarf frog and Pocostomus (sp?). The nitrate level was a bit high in the 10 gallon, so I added some conditioner stuff to help lower it. Unfortunatly, the Swordtail fish did not survive the bowl :(

I know you are supose to cycle the tank, but I also purchased some tablets that are suppose to condition the water so that fish can move in quickly. The mollies seem happy. I have also purchased some testing strips to make sure that all the level stay in check. It seems that I have found a new hobby. Been researching the heck out of aquariums and find myself going into my son's room to just look at the fish more and more!

Now I got to start saving up for a bigger tank for the living room. Got a nice corner that I plan on turning into a reading area. With Christmas around the corner, I think that I can convice the wife to let me have a bigger tank.

Once again, thanks for the advice. I have bookmarked the page, and hopefully will become a regular on the board here.

To lower the Nitrate level, do more water changes. A pleco in a 10 gal tank is going to make the Nitrate level soar. If I were you, I'd take him back to the lfs. They are better suited for tanks 55 gal+. This is of course unless it is a "dwarf" pleco. Do you know the breed?

The strips are not very accurate. For accurate water test results, invest in a liquid reagent test kit. Aquarium Pharmecuticals Master Test Kit is a very good one. The tablets are going to remove chlorine/chloramines. They are not going to cycle the tank or make the tank suitable for immediate inhabitance. Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels closely and do water changes accordingly.

I don't want to bombard you with info all at once. :D I am looking forward to seeing you posting around the board.

Fanatic,
Thanks for the advice. Not sure what breed the pleco is. Right now it's rather small (maybe 1.5 to 2 inches long). It's brown with black spots on it. I have move him into the tank with the 3 other mollies.

I did about a 30% water change on the 10 gallon with the baby mollies in them. I will be out and about after work so I think I will pick up a test kit. The frys seem to be doing well, no floaters yet :)

On a side note, is it normal for the 2 males to be constantly chasing around the female mollie? It seems everytime I look at them they are constatly following her around checking out her underbelly. Not sure if the female is getting upset over it or not.

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciate it!

Steve

It is perfectly normal for the males to be chasing the females. Try to reduce the number of males and increase the number of females. That way they won't become so stressed. The male will then chase 3 females instead of 1. It will make it easier for the females.

Back
Top Bottom