Breeding feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landonreed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a spare five gallon tank and I want to start breeding feeders so I can feed my arowana. I have no experience in fish breeding and no experience with feeder fish. Would love some help on the subject before I just go out and buy some.

Haha I just litterly went threw that same thing. Like to where I finely got my convict pair yesterday. From what iv researched it's quite easy. U just gotta put the time and effort with grow out tanks and whatnot..

I have mine in a(I think) 20gal tall. With sand bottom, a cup and a plant. I they seem to be settling ok but we'll see. Il let u know how it works out as it does, if it does.

I have a 20 long with mollies and snails. Snails used for the puffers and mollies so I don't just have a a tank of snails. And if they have babies like there parent did then I have feeder fish aswell. I hope the snails breed enough to keep the puffer happy.

Last week I went threw 60 feeders in alittle over 2days. I just put 70 in there yesterday, well see how long that last.

I have a needle nose gar, a zebra knife fish (he's a literal nightmare, comes out at night and destroys everything he sees) and a juvie Oscar and rtc.

I also have a st Bernard/mastiff 2yrs old 160lbs.. I'm paying more for fish food a month then dog food. That's why I'm starting to try it.

So what type breed the fastest

Livebearers breed pretty fast but will eat there babies if the babies don't have hiding spots. Rosy red minnows are a common favorite for breeding and feeder fish. Goldfish as well.
IMO rosy reds breed at a decent rate if you have a good amount. But feeders should really only be treats and carnivore pellets should be sufficient for the fish. The risk you must take for feeding feeders to carnivorous fish is passing parasites, sickness, etc from the feeder to your fish.

Livebearers breed pretty fast but will eat there babies if the babies don't have hiding spots. Rosy red minnows are a common favorite for breeding and feeder fish. Goldfish as well.
IMO rosy reds breed at a decent rate if you have a good amount. But feeders should really only be treats and carnivore pellets should be sufficient for the fish. The risk you must take for feeding feeders to carnivorous fish is passing parasites, sickness, etc from the feeder to your fish.

Ok thank you!

I'm doing the same , I have been breeding guppies in a ten gallon for two years now and it was a pice of cake after a couple tries. My cichlids love em. All I can say is lots or hiding places , live plants do help , cover filter ( haha obviously ) and watch tempture. I chose guppies because they breed a little quicker but almost any species is ok. Good luck I have always wanted a Arawonna:).

Freshwater_King

Back
Top Bottom