Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
breeding snails and shrimp in a 3 gal tank

i was just wondering if they would eat each others eggs and how many snails i could put in a 3 gal with about 10-15 ghost shrimp that are already in there. the tank is heavily planted with no filtration. as for the type of snails probably the smallest i can find such as pond snails to feed to dwarf puffers.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think that the ghost shrimp will eat the snail eggs. But if you want to breed snails, just set up a small container next to your window, toss in some lettuce once in a while, and they'll soon swarm it..........Snails don't need much to reproduce. At least not the common pond snails.....and others.
Good luck!

Old 02-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
ok thanks i think i'll just use the tank i use to put egg carrying shrimp in which is about 1/2 gal but do you think that should be enough? how often do you have to feed dwarf puffers snails anyway? is grinding down their teeth by hand really an option?
Old 02-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My shrimp never kept my snail population down.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
I have been told by anyone and everyone that breeding snails is easy, etc, etc. I have never had a snail population problem (even with purchasing live plants) because of my green spotted puffer.

I decided I wanted to actually breed them for him. I purchased 10 of them, put them in a large container by the window, put in lettuce, and after a few days the water smelled so bad and was so cloudy that I couldn't see them or go anywhere near it. So I do a water change, and same thing, over and over and over.

The snails were very hardy, as they never died, but I ended up just having to feed them to my puffer. I tried this over and over... probably 4-5 times, and always end up just feeding the snails to my puffer.

It seems as if the people who despise snails get outbreaks, and the people who TRY to get snails can't produce them!!!

-brent

Tags
breed, breeding, rim, shrimp, snail, snails, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com