Breeding worries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guyver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, I've got ~6 cherry shrimp (near impossible to do a head count with those guys), and I've noticed little baby shrimps cruising around. I knew breeding would be on the agenda when getting the cherries. Any advice on population control? I've got a larger shrimp (not sure the variety), a pleco, a snail, 6 zebra danios and an angel in there as well. I'm hoping the angel goes after the little guys to keep them under control.

Sell them! You can sell them to people as feeders or for fun. Nobody around here has any, not even the lfs, so forums and online ordering are the only option

The angels will probably go after the shrimp fry. Once in a while I feed my extras to the bettas here, and they enjoy chasing and eating them. As long as you don't give the shrimp too many hiding places (like the big clump of java moss in my shrimp tank) the fish should be able to get to them.

Hmm, our rcs's are breeding like mad too. Right now I have rasboras in there to "cull the herd". Maybe I should take out the rasboras and let them go like bunnies and sell 'em.

you could make a few extra bucks to supplement the hobby that way :) live aquaria sells them for outrageous prices, you could probably sell them on here for like $.50 each plus shipping and get rid of all you want.

Yes, please do that. I want to breed these guys so bad, even though i will not use them for selling, my bichir/festivum love a good shrimp sandwich :).

'berried' = loaded up with eggs. The egg pouch is transparent so you can see the eggs hanging off the momma shrimp like berries.

Back
Top Bottom