brichardi questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
brichardi compatibility.

i have the aragnite sand frmo HD. and im cycling the tank right now.

i was wondering. since i put a lil but sand. like |------------------------------|
that much i was wondering if i could keep like a weather loach or something in there. or corys. or something else to airate the substrate

I would say no to loaches and cories. Good bottom feeders for lake tang tanks are smaller african catfish of the synodontis genus. You could do 2 synos and 4 brichardi.

*Edit* Snails would work to aerate the substrate. Try MTS. Make sure there isn't any leftover food or the populations might get out of hand.

true but they dont sell any of those around here. the ones that look like a spike?

and i dont have enough money for synos. their like 15$ each.. and they arent the best looking fish.

any other suggestions? will regular snails airate the sand?

I believe, for all the hard water cichlids (mostly the africans), you should only need salt if your water is not very hard.

No reason to put salt in for any of the soft acidic water South American cichlids (severums, angelfish, discus, rams, etc).

...if the overall salt level is very low (1 tbsp per 10 gallons) it definitely should not hurt them.

I keep low levels of salt in all my tanks. 1 TBSP per 10 gallons is fine. Brichardi will excavate and mine like to go through the rocks I have set up. I recently put in more rock and my brichardi fry venture further from "home" because there is lots of hiding spots. Hiding spots are a must!!

another neolamprologus question

i was wondering what i should get. the brichardi or the brevis. what i thought was the brichardi was a brevis. the brevis is a little more flashy but im sure the brichardi is better in a way too.

warnings? oppinions?

oh and i just thought of this. maybe i can keep bot of them in a 29?

http://www.thatfishshop.com/findex/fish/neolamprologus_brevis.htm

theres a site for what some of them look like and their profile.

I am going to merge this with the other question thread so all Qs and answers will be in one place.

The shell dwellers are cute. However, I tried to keep shellies and brichardi in the same tank and it did not work. The brichardi nipped at the shellies and did not want them around. If you really want a breeding pair, you are going to have a relatively bare tank. The breeding pair will become aggressive towards other fish in the tank. I currently have a ten gal with shellies and a tank for brichardi.
The daffodil's scientific name is Neolamprologus pulcher. They are beautiful fish. However, if you are going to breed your fish, keep only one type of Neolamprologus--either the brichardi or the pulcher. They will interbreed and hybrids are not worth anything.

and dang the daffodils at the fish shop thingy are only 4.50 ;'( but shipping will probally be a heap of $$

Another possibility are shell-dwellers. They might or might not work with brichardi, but it would be worth it to try it out. Ask your fish store if you could return them if things don't work out.

yeah but the only one that has them in this area is the place that has the 24 hr gaurentee. but ill ask anyways. (call) i live 40 mins from there.

Once again:
Menagerie said:
I tried to keep shellies and brichardi in the same tank and it did not work. The brichardi nipped at the shellies and did not want them around.
IME, a 29 gal does not have enough room for brichardi and shellies to coexist.

okay. i made 80$ today :) frmo loading rocks for my mom. and takign them aacross out garden. 2$ per load. i made 50$ yesterday and the day b4. and 40$ the day before the day before that.

so thats 170$ and i used 70 for the fish. (still have to pay her 20 thogh. ill have like 88$ by the time i pay everything off. i had 120$. bought the skunks today so that goes down to 103.29. and 20$ is 83.29. so i have some space.

im thinking of putting 2 bristlenose in the 29, 2 brichardi and maybe the skunks'll work in there. since they probally like sand. but if it doesnt work i can just take them out again.

so the bristlenose's will cost like 26$ for both, brichardi 20$ so thats 46$ left. im thinking about maybe getting 4 more skunks. so that'll be 22. hmm. what should i do with the last 22? oh yeah im putting another oto in my 5 gallon 1.50 so thats 10.50. and a rubber lipped pleco in my 10.

16.50 left. any suggestions? :D

oh yeah i guess thats true. i forgot i need to tithe. and i havent been able to do it recently because were always late. so i think im gonna give it all for offering

Back
Top Bottom