Brine shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would be better for fish to eat? Live brine shrimp or frozen ones? Have you ever hatched brine shrimp? Was it fun or frustrating?

From what I was told a while back, live foods is the best way to go. This followed by frozen and them freeze dried. Sorry, I don't have experience with hatching brine shrimp though.

- Mandy

That's the opposite of what I've heard. Live foods have a greater potetial for bringing pathogens into the tank than dead ones. That being said, I enjoy brine shrimp in thier own right, and the nutrition of brine shrimp is highly dependant on what they are fed as they grow.

ive heard if you deshell the eggs, you can microwave the eggs for like 20 secs in like water or something and feed the fish those

@krap101: How do you deshell the eggs? They are tiny!
@dskidmore: I don't think you will be adding pathogens if you raise the brine shrimp yourself.

Personally I feed all of my fish a little Aquarium flakes and some pellets in the morning and in the evening live food, brine shrimp, as they will continue to survive in the tank and not go off and my fish will eat them when ready.
I do keep frozen also for when we cannot propergate the live ones.
I think it is best to feed live food at least twice a week it keeps thier scales glossy and the fish in good health.
I always hatch the brins shrimp myself as it is alot cheaper it is a little hit and miss with the salt but over time you get the hang of it.
I have been doing this since I began keeping tropical fish and they are all in good health! :wink:

I have hatched brine shrimp for my fish. What a pain the arse. It is very easy to do and as long as you dont let them grow up there is almost no chance of pathogens. My Fish loved them.

I just put 1 quart of water in a verticle container (2 lt bottle works) add one tablespood of salt. Put a bubbler in it, NO AIR STONE (They try to eat small bubbles), wait 24 hrs then harvest!

Harvesting them is the hard part. You can get a net at the fish shop but I used a paper towel and a turkey baster.

PM me if you want any help.

Its very simply to raise brine shrimp. I get brine shrimp with the salt premixed with the eggs . All I have to do is add water. The fish love it. I am about to try to do it without the premix to see how it goes.

i just buy live brine shrimp at my lfs for $1.25 and keep them in a bottle. one portion lasts me about a week, so for me it's not that big of an expense to just keep buying them and avoid the mess of hatching them. i could definitely see how it could get costly to buy them if they're a staple for a huge tank though.

With the prices of gasoline lately its cheaper for me to raise brines at home then going to the lfs once a week. This also helps me keep this obsession in check. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom