Brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently made a brine shrimp hatchery with a pop bottle. I would like to know, do you keep the air hose on through the whole process, or do you shut it off after a certain amount of time??

Are you using them as food while they are just hatched to a few days? Thats all I've ever done in the way of hatching my own. If thats the case, leave the airstone in till you use the shrimp up. If you are trying to grow them bigger, I'm not really sure.

Definitely keep the air stone on. If you want to grow the shrimp larger, here is how I do it. Use a 5 gallon aquarium or something similar in size...one of the plastic "critter keepers" would work fine. To each gallon of water, mix 10 1/2 ounces of plain salt (no iodide), 2 heaping tbsp of Epsom salt, 1 ounce baking soda, 1/4 tsp active dry yeast. You can add 1/2 tsp of yeast if there are a lot of shrimp in there. Keep water at 78-80 degrees. Have this mixed up and running with an airstone in it for at least 24 hrs before you add shrimp from hatchery. Don't dump hatchery in there...net shrimp in fine net and add them to tank. When water begins to clear, add more yeast. Mix new yeast in fresh water when you feed and try to add about what has evaporated. This will keep salinity about right. Try to keep water slightly cloudy...no need to clean this tank...it gets better with age. They will take about a month to mature. Leave some mature shrimp in there and they will reproduce. This is how I have done it and it works. Fish love them. Shrimp will grow slower if water is colder than 78-80. Keep airstone running at all times.
Logan J

Thanks loganj,

I was also wondering about how I get them bigger to feed my larger fish, as they are at the moment they just seem to swim right by them :?: :?: . Might just give it a go. Do you add the 'live' shrimp from the mini hatchery that 'you' set up?

shrimp

Yes, hatch them out in your hatchery. Strain them out with a brine shrimp net and add them to the tank with the brine mixture. Be sure to keep the water slightly cloudy with the yeast and keep the airstone going. You can grow them to full maturity...they will even reproduce in there.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom