Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
A_J
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Brine Shrimp Question

I couple of baby fishes in my tank (most likely mollies) and I bought Brine Shrimp eggs for them.

I've successfully hatched them but I am confused as to how do I separate the brine shrimp from the salty water and how do I rinse them?

Thanks a lot.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you shake the bottle or something...and then let it sit....the shells will float, and the pink bbs will be on the bottom and you syphon them off. Then you put them in a net, hold them under running water, and then add them to your tank.

Please wait for other people to chime in before you do this, I'm not too shure and don't want to mess up your BBS production

Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

A_J,

How are you hatching the shrimp? Did you buy a "hatchery"? Or just a bottle of the eggs?
What I used to do was set up a plastic tupperware container with the right salt mixture and water temperature, then I would have a small barrier that the eggs couldn't float past. Once they hatched I would turn off the room lighting and put a lamp on the other end and they would swim under the barrier to get to the light and I would suck them up with an eye dropper.

Then I would use and old coffee filter or very fine net and wash them off, then place them in the aquarium. My guppy fry loved them.

Here's a quick pic of what I meant. There is probably an easier way but I didn't have a lot of money at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shrimp2_137.jpg (5.9 KB, 169 views)
Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
A_J
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I didnt used any hatchery equipment. Just a jug of water, salt and the bottle of eggs.

The eye dropper is a good idea. 8)

So rinsing is just holding them under a slow stream of tap water? I was thinking of using a cloth as I dont have a fine net. :|

Thanks for your replies Billsgate and studmaster. Appreciate the diagram.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

A_J,

Live Baby Brine Shrimp are great for fry because they are nutritious and moving, fry love the moving part. After feeding my guppy fry you could always see round pink bellies full of brine shrimp. It helps them grow fast as well. If you want to get or make something similar, this looks really easy to set up.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/equ..._hatchery.html

I might even try this when my mollies have their fry.

M

Tags
brine shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com