Bringing fish home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to go get a couple new fish tomorrow. Was wondering everyone's take on how long they will be ok in the bags they put them in. The drive home is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Should be fine. I drive from my pet store and its at least 45 minutes. I always end up doing something after I get them so I'd say its probably about an hour and a half home. I've never had a problem. It's always better to get them home as soon as possible, though.

That is no problem, consider how long fish are in bags when being shipped. Just be sure they double bag the fish and use a large bag with plenty of water and do tell them you have a long drive home.

You should not have a problem. Tell the LFS to use a larger than usual bag. Sixty percent should be air, and make sure to lay the bag at an angle and in a Styrofoam enclosure with a lid so it's dark and the temperature is preserved. Some people like to clip the corners of the back so the fish cannot get trapped in a corner pocket. Avoid bumpy roads, if possible. Drive straight home and avoid making any stops.

I used to keep rummynose tetras a few years back and half the battle was transporting them.

What fish will you be purchasing tomorrow?

David

Thanks.

Not sure what we will be getting. Hoping a Blue Platy or 2 for sure. Do you this a cooler would work? I have one of those. Also going to get them to put only one fish per bag as well.

Calypso77 said:
Thanks.

Not sure what we will be getting. Hoping a Blue Platy or 2 for sure. Do you this a cooler would work? I have one of those. Also going to get them to put only one fish per bag as well.

I have loads of blue platies. Loll

Back
Top Bottom