bristlenose & pictus cats veg ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbekker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've heard cats like veg. I tried cucumber but nobody seemed interested maybe because it was floating on surface.

Anybody shed some light on the do's and don'ts?

Cheers Craig

This mobile application has a search, great!

Ok I see cucumber, zucchini, banana, peas, sweet potato are options. Weighted of course.

Someone one mentioned garlic? Hmmm is that a stock pot joke?

I am still trying to work out how much to feed so this email will allow me to focus on the size of my flake 'pinch' for the guppys.

Any lettuce but iceberg. The easiest way to weight it is to stick a fork in it with most of the veggie on the back side of the fork. Lay the fork in the tank tines down after 24 hours remove what has not been eaten.

Someone one mentioned garlic? Hmmm is that a stock pot joke?
Nope, not a joke. Garlic is an appetite enhancer and can entice your fish to eat. If you read the ingredients of some of the higher quality fish foods you will see it listed. You don't just want to throw a couple of cloves in though. You can buy garlic additives but they are relatively expensive. What I do is chop up a clove and soak it for a while in a few MLs of tank water, then strain it and soak whatever you are feeding the fish in that water for a bit. Careful though, garlic is high in phosphate and that can potentially lead to algae issues if you build up too much without export (live plants, water changes).

Back
Top Bottom