bristlenose identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I received two baby bristlenoses today and need help identifying them. Having trouble getting a photo.

I think perhaps starlight, not certain. They are Brown with the white tip of their fins, are there other species with this?

Not sure if you mean L182 or L183. It's easy enough to tell if it's L183. Count the dorsal rays. If it has 1 hard and 9 soft then that's what you have.

starlight usually have tiny beautiful white dots all over them, even as babies. If brownish with hardly visible spots and a whitish tail, i'd say a regular BN? or a lemon drop BN?

pics would help, maybe better luck later on getting them:)

They have lots of light Brown spots. Can't get close enough to them they like the back wall of my tank behind all the plants.

Common BN are brown with white tipped tails and dorsal fins. Patterns can be variable depending on the background/substrate.

Thanks toddnbecca I likely have common bn then. I've just never seen them in our lfs with the thick white line on their back fin.

Juvies have a solid white line, but it dwindles down to the corners of the tail and dorsal fins as they grow. All the wee common fry look like starlights for a while, but they outgrow the white stripes long before they mature.

Great info, I look forward to watching them change then. They are seriously tiny at the moment one is barely 2cms including tail the other only marginally larger.

Geeze, I never sell anything that small. I don't even like to move them to other tanks before they reach at least 1".

This woman had two that bred and she never wanted or expected them to. She wanted to get rid of them and I fear would have been a creek if it weren't me.

Back
Top Bottom