Bristlenose Pleco or Amano Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g tank, currently housing zebra loaches, bolivian rams, and a rainbow shark. I don't have a huge algae problem, but I do think they are both interesting species. I have plenty of (fake) plants and driftwood, so I don't think hiding places would be an issue. I have read that Bristlenoses may get territorial when they get older, and I don't want there to be a problem between that and the rainbow shark. But I am also concerned with the shrimp getting attacked/eaten. If I can get my hands on some decent sized amanos, how many should I get? I'm just looking for some input on the better choice...I don't want to put something in the tank when there may be definite problems that will arise.

Amano can get fairly large enough that most fish will just leave them alone. I have a few in my tank and none of my Barbs, Tetras or RTS will bother them. In fact, I've seen my Amanos go toe to toe with the fish for Algae wafers.

What you can do is get a couple of Ghost Shrimp and see how they do. Since they are so inexpensive compared to Amano, it's no big loss if they get eaten. If they survive so will the Amano.

I like amano shrimp, but you shouldn't have an RTS in anything less than a 55 gal.
I get criticized for this every time I say it lol. I bought him when I was 12, so I didn't really know the requirements. He was in a 10g for two years and then moved to the 29g, and he's been fine ever since. Fully grown, healthy, and I've had him for 8 years now. So I don't see a point in moving him now. If I get a bigger tank he'll be the first one to move though.

Amano Shrimp will get easily taken out by the Rainbow Shark, I've seen it happen - they go for the legs initially and once the shrimp is crippled it is destroyed, with even Tetra coming and joining in for a nibble - Rummy Nose and Lemon Tetra, as soon as the shrimp was injured nearly every fish could sense lunch.

Okay then I'll go with the pleco. I don't want to add them knowing they'll probably get eaten.

Crossocheilus siamensis would be a far better choice and will eat more forms of algae than your other choices.

Last edited:
No, True Siamese Algae Eaters are very peaceful and in some cases shy if kept singly - Flying Foxes which are sold as SAE's in a lot of cases, are aggressive and this has led to SAE's being described as aggressive fish. It's stated they can grow to around 16-17 cm as an adult, though I've never seen one this big. As a fully grown adult it would still not produce as much waste as a Bristlenose Pleco would.

Last edited:
Okay cool. So how should I go about getting a true Siamese? I don't want to mistakenly buy a flying fox

True SAE's have one set of barbels and stripe continuing through tail - Flying Foxes have two sets of twin barbels not one and the stripe stops at the body. The black line down the side is also more jagged, sawtooth looking on the True SAE, the Flying Foxes is a lot smoother looking.

Yep, they will eat nearly anything that goes into the tank. If you want them to eat algae cut back on tank feeding for a while or don't feed at all for 2-3 days as they have a very high metabolism and will get hungry before most other fish in your tank, then they will switch back to the algae control.

Back
Top Bottom