Bristletoe nose pleco only eating algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
He's only been in my 55 for 4 days but is only seems interested in eating algae off the glass. I've put a piece of cucumber in there 2 nights in a row and it was untouched. Ge hasn't bothered eating other foods either, algae wafer or any other bottom feeder foods. He's moving around fine so I know he's not sick , just ignoring food right now. Their are mollies, cherry barbs, corys and some bloodfin tetras in the tank also. It's not like I have a lot of noticeable algae, I don't want the guy to starve himself. What's his problem.

He's only been in my 55 for 4 days but is only seems interested in eating algae off the glass. I've put a piece of cucumber in there 2 nights in a row and it was untouched. Ge hasn't bothered eating other foods either, algae wafer or any other bottom feeder foods. He's moving around fine so I know he's not sick , just ignoring food right now. Their are mollies, cherry barbs, corys and some bloodfin tetras in the tank also. It's not like I have a lot of noticeable algae, I don't want the guy to starve himself. What's his problem.

Maybe he's still adjusting to the new tank or maybe he is simply getting enough from the glass etc. keep an eye on him. Maybe try target feeding if things don't improve.

If he is young he may be getting enough from biofilm. Thats what mine does.

If he is young he may be getting enough from biofilm. Thats what mine does.

He's definately a small guy, maybe and inch and half at best. He's moves around the tank, been on the driftwood some, just doesn't seem interested in food. I'll will keep an eye on him though

It took my last female many months to decide to eat blanched zucchini. Now she waits for it to be put in the tank and is on it in a matter of seconds. You just have to keep offering it and usually or should I say eventually they begin eating it. I leave the skin on but wash the zucchini well before slicing it and when my albino female eats the skin you can see all the green in her stomach. She still eats on biofilm from the glass and plants, plus rasps on the DW but she still after 2 years does not eat algae tablets.

Mine didn't eat anything offered to it for awhile as well, and I was concerned that it would starve. All it ever did all day was hang out on the backside of the HOB pick up tube.

At night time however, that thing is all over the tank. Like a little vacuum cleaner going across the gravel. I usually throw in an algae chip or 2 before bed and it's gone in the morning.

Mine didn't eat anything offered to it for awhile as well, and I was concerned that it would starve. All it ever did all day was hang out on the backside of the HOB pick up tube.

At night time however, that thing is all over the tank. Like a little vacuum cleaner going across the gravel. I usually throw in an algae chip or 2 before bed and it's gone in the morning.

I've fed the tank at night, problem is I have 34 other fish in the tank including 9 corys and 6 mollies, mollies are pigs they smell food the instance it goes into the tank. I'll never have any idea whether it is getting any food.

I feed the other fish prior to throwing in the chips. I have 2 mollies as well, and you are right, they pick at everything in the tank

I feed the other fish prior to throwing in the chips. I have 2 mollies as well, and you are right, they pick at everything in the tank

Doesn't matter if I feed other fish, they eat everything. Even after lights out. The smell will wake them

I have several fish (not molly's) in my 220g that are food hounds, especially the 12 large angelfish so what I do is each morning I cut 3- 3/8" long strips of zucchini, pop them in the microwave for 8 seconds, rinse immediately under cold running water, then put them on veggie clips hung in a roll down the front of the tank. All the fish can pick if they want and trust me the long fin albino bnp will move anyone out of her way if she wants a certain one. I also have 3 different types of whiptail cats, angelicus and red lizard loaches, along with oto's all eat on it too. I put enough down that there is always some there. I put it in when I feed in the morning and switch it out with fresh again the following morning.

Back
Top Bottom