Brown algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! This morning I just noticed that my tank is starting to grow some strong brown algae on some plants and on my decorating rock. What can be causing the brown algae? Is it good or bad?
Don't know much about it. It's the 1st time it's appeared in my tank.
Any

Is it a newish tank? It's probably diatoms. They grow in new tanks and eventually burn out and disappear after a few weeks - months. They are ugly but harmless.

Mumma.of.two said:
Is it a newish tank? It's probably diatoms. They grow in new tanks and eventually burn out and disappear after a few weeks - months. They are ugly but harmless.

It's about 6 months old.

As previously stated it should disappear on its own after a while. If you have silicate in your tap water you will continue to have the problem.

I have had the same problem! When my tank was first started I got diatoms then they disappeared and became brown algae. The fish weren't harmed by it some even ate it. If you want to fix the problem get nerite snails :) they are awesome, they cleaned up all the algae. I haven't scrubbed the tank in two months. They're small so you can get more or less depending on your tank size. I have a 12 gallon so I got 3. They go all over and eat algae :D

I keep otto's in my tanks, they do a great job on it to. I have to supplement them with cucumber, a zucchini they do such a good job. :lol:

BalloonBellies said:
I have had the same problem! When my tank was first started I got diatoms then they disappeared and became brown algae. The fish weren't harmed by it some even ate it. If you want to fix the problem get nerite snails :) they are awesome, they cleaned up all the algae. I haven't scrubbed the tank in two months. They're small so you can get more or less depending on your tank size. I have a 12 gallon so I got 3. They go all over and eat algae :D

They'll even clean the decoration rock and plants? Just a question out of curiosity.
Also my tank is a 15gal... How many would you recommend?

Do they eat the green algae that developes on plant leaves?

foster53 said:
I keep otto's in my tanks, they do a great job on it to. I have to supplement them with cucumber, a zucchini they do such a good job. :lol:

Do they grow fast and big?

Do they grow fast and big?
They stay pretty small around 2". Most are pretty much full grown when you get them, in my experience. I wish I could use them in my Rainbow tank, but I think they would be a snack for them.LOL

Nerites can even eat green spot algae and are really great for small tanks. The best and fastest little nerites are the horned nerites. Olive nerites are the most common and are the medium sized ones. Then the tiger nerites come in different colors and patterns and can grow to be the largest. All are equally skilled algae eaters.

I took a few close up picture of the brown algae(I think that's what it is). It's a few on the top of my rock decoration and mostly on my plants.
Take a look at them and tell me what you think.

image-510689038.jpg

image-2416833600.jpg

image-1590080935.jpg

image-1996053373.jpg

Rivercats said:
Nerites can even eat green spot algae and are really great for small tanks. The best and fastest little nerites are the horned nerites. Olive nerites are the most common and are the medium sized ones. Then the tiger nerites come in different colors and patterns and can grow to be the largest. All are equally skilled algae eaters.

Wow that sounds great ill take a look into that. Ill probably get the smallest ones. How many world you recommend I should get for my 15gal tank?

Wow that sounds great ill take a look into that. Ill probably get the smallest ones. How many world you recommend I should get for my 15gal tank?

If you can find the little horned nerites I'd do 5, if you get olives or tigers probably only 3. Or you can get a mix of all of them, like 3 horned, and 1 each of tiger and olive. Then you'd have a variety to look at.

Rivercats said:
If you can find the little horned nerites I'd do 5, if you get olives or tigers probably only 3. Or you can get a mix of all of them, like 3 horned, and 1 each of tiger and olive. Then you'd have a variety to look at.

Can I find these at any local pet store like Petco? Also are they usually expensive? Don't know much about them. Sorry for the stupid questions.

I've seen various nerites at LFS off and on but never look at PetCo and Pet Smart. I got mine with a fish order. They aren't expensive except some of the tiger nerites are IMO.

Rivercats said:
I've seen various nerites at LFS off and on but never look at PetCo and Pet Smart. I got mine with a fish order. They aren't expensive except some of the tiger nerites are IMO.

So so They also clean up my decorations and plants that carry that algae as well?

They'll even clean the decoration rock and plants? Just a question out of curiosity.
Also my tank is a 15gal... How many would you recommend?

Yes they will eat the algae everywhere lol
They go on the decorations, glass, filter, heater, plants. They move around pretty quick too. You probably could do five. They come in cool shell patterns too :)

Back
Top Bottom