Brown Algae :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScurdOfCychlidz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've looked on the last couple pages of the forum for the same question...but didn't really find an answer...so if it was answered I apologize for the repeat!

I have had my 46 gal tank now for about 2 months...I only have 4 cichlids in it @ this time...about 2 weeks ago there was this brown "stuff" all over the tank...rocks, tubing, glass, plants...etc. So i drained about 80% of it (with use of a bucket) and cleaned it, then filled it back up...yes i'm using arizona tap water :(. Now bout 2 weeks later, there is the same stuff all over the glass, rocks, etc but now it seems like its progressing faster and faster by the day...I'm really new to the fish scene..lol and not prepared for trouble, so what is happening?! Some people say let it run its course...but I did that last time and the tank was so murky it was like hard to see the fish!

I haven't tested the water or anything like that...not sure how :oops: But any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
__David

Well, the easy fix is to get yourself a diatom filter which will get all the algae out of the water. However, that's a somewhat costly fix.
Really for the most part all the algae is going to do is make your tank not look so nice. It looks bad but for the most part the fish don't mind it.
With Cichlids, I always have algae problems, it just happens and there is nothing I can do to make it go away (Cichlids are very dirty fish). However, getting a small pleco or two would definitely help keep the algae down.
Don't do another 80% water change. I'd never do over 50% at a time and that's only under the most dire circumstances (high ammonia and stuff like that). Algae is not one of those dire circumstances.

Really, if you don't mind spending a little bit of money and the algae really bothers you and it's a constantly reoccuring problem then I would definitely recommend buying a diatom filter.

Start researching algae eating fish. In my humble opinion, every tank needs an "algae clean-up crew." I have a trio of Otos in my tank that completely decimated the brown algae. They do a really good on the softer algae types.

Look into Plecos, Otos, Siamese Algae eaters, etc. Just make sure whatever you get is compatable with your Cichlids. :)

Plecos are the only algae eaters I've found to be compatible with my cichlids, and even they aren't always compatible.

Actually....you might find that one of the Farlowella species might be the perfect solution to your problem. The 'farlowella' and 'Royal farlowella' cats are brown algae-eaters par excellence!!!! They shouldn't have any major difficulties with your cichlids either, as long as they're of reasonable size.

[center:87a4777187] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, ScurdOfCychlidz!! :n00b: [/center:87a4777187]
Plecos can do amazing things with brown algae!! I have a Rubber Lipped pleco in three tanks and those are CLEAN tanks! I also have a common pleco in my 80 Mbuna cichlid tank and he does a great job in there.
For your size tank, I recommend a smaller pleco that stays 4-5" such as the clown, Rubber Lip, or Bristle Nose. I have them all and they are terrific fish.

I have a planted tank so it might be different but after a couple of months brown algae never came back.

Siamese algae eaters don't do much to the brown stuff on the tank walls. They graze a bit but otos and plecos will utterly eliminate it.

I finished cycling about two weeks ago :D :D :D and I just purchased an otto on Sunday and believe it or not he has decimated the the brown algae on the plastic plants and the panes of my tank and seems to be working of what little is left. He is really cute :D too. They are great little guys..

Brown algae will resolve itself, and try to resist doing such a drastic water change, as that can cause a mini "cycle" and that was probably what caused the cloudiness you experienced before. Brown algae will not cloud the water. As your tank matures the brown algae will disappear, making way for other types :wink: so if you get a diatom eater make sure you feed them once the brown algae is gone.

Fruitbat -don't farlowella sp. prefer soft water? I am totally in love with them but have been afraid to keep them due to my somewhat hard, alkaline water. Call me crazy, but I think they are lovely :)

Otos are bad tank mates for cichlids--they are too small and become food for the cichlids---Do not get an oto and put it with cichlids
Same thing with algae eaters--siamese, chinese, it doesn't matter---Don't buy them, they become food

As for farlowella---I've never had one, can't say for sure, from what I've found out they are South American and are are for peaceful or semi agressive tanks---If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me. Thus if your cichlids are African it would definitely not be a suitable tankmate. As for SA cichlids--I would suspect it would not be a good fit but can't say for sure.

Plecos are great algae eaters, Menagerie mentioned quite a few good types. They are the only thing that I have consistently seen put with cichlids without many problems.

One piece of info would help quite a bit---What type of Cichlids do you have?

I can't tell from the pics, but if you mixed Mbuna and peacocks from Lake Malawi, there may be trouble as they mature. I would stick with a pleco as a tank mate.

Menagerie said:
I can't tell from the pics, but if you mixed Mbuna and peacocks from Lake Malawi, there may be trouble as they mature. I would stick with a pleco as a tank mate.

how many pleco's would you suggest?

I would try two dwarf plecos, like the bristlenose (I have never kept them in a semi-aggressive tank, though), or one common pleco if you are planning on getting a bigger tank later to put him in - they get very large.

One other suggestion aside from alge eaters. I found that a great way to get the alge off rocks with crevices is to use a medium or hard tooth brush - it'll clean those larger rocks, lift tubes, pumps clean and then the diatom filter will clear it out....Just an idea.

If you need a semi-aggressive "dwarf" pleco I suggest the rubber lip. Rowdy little fish they are indeed.

I used to have a rubberlip and loved that fish! He was great in a tank with some dwarf puffers - don't know why I didn't think of that - tnx, patryuji. Mine, unfortunately, managed to get out of the back of the tank, unbeknownst to me, and was not found until it was way, way too late... :cry:

Back
Top Bottom