brown algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otocinclus cats eat brown algae. They are somewhat delicate, but if you have a nice crop going before you get them they should be fine. I would make sure they have been at the LFS for at least a week, as they do not ship well and often die off - so the ones that have lasted are better specimens. They are a schooling cat so get at least three, and they remain very small.

Uh-oh, I only have 2...is this an issue?

I just wanted to put in my two cents that the oto's will decimate brown algae. I originally bought them to put in my 10 gallon to keep the algae at bay and they cleaned the tank of the nasty brown algae in less than 2 days. After that, I supplemented with algae wafers.

I ended up putting them in my 38 and they keep the glass sparkling eating the green algae too.

Paul

Is there another algae eater that you can keep as a single? My 16 bow front gal tank is not 100 percent closed off where the filter and heater are, so I am afraid to put a snail in there as he may crawl out.

But my diatom powder like algae has been growing lately. The tank is more or less away from sun light, but with teh fish in there, there are probably enough nutrients for a bloom. My two ghost shrimp aren't effective enough.

Get yourself a bristlenose. They do not get terribly large and one would probably work in a 16gal.

I just purchased what was labeled as a "Rubber Pleco" for $7.99 at my LFS. The rep said that he wouldn't get bigger than 5" and he has been doing a pretty good job cleaning up my brown algae in my 10 gallon.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom