Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjw9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been getting spots of brown algae lately, si I have two questions. First is there anything I can do to get rid of it that doesn't entail buying a fish quite yet? And second I noticed this problem after I bought a digital timer and started leaving the lights on from 830AM to 700PM so is that too much light or how long should I keep the lights on? TIA for your help.

10.5 hours is not too much light generally. Brown algae often shows up during a tank's cycling. Brown algae require less light than other types, so excess light is unlikely to be the problem.
Let's start with some questions...
How long has your tank been running?
Have ammonia and nitrite levels stayed constant (0)?
How often do you do water changes, and what percentage?
Do you vac the gravel when you do changes?
What are your nitrate levels?
Does your tank receive direct sunlight at any time?

Brown algae tend to proliferate when there is silicate in the water in addition to phosphate and nitrate. Have you put any decorations or rocks that may be leaching silicate into the water? You may be able to get silicate adsorbing resin for your filter, but i don't know anything about whether that is a good or bad idea.

Introducing plants, increasing (!!) the intensity of the lighting, and increasing water changes are the things that might help short of adding fish (otos or plecos).

Let us know about the questions I've asked, and we might be able to get a solution!

The tank is(unfortunately)cycling so that is probably the problem. Thanks to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom