brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zecolmeia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had what looms like brown algae for what seems like months now. Wveey water change I brush the decor and rock but by end of week its brown again. Its been like this for months. Here are water specs before last water change. Ph 8.2 ammonia 1.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 20

I had major brown algae when i fiest setup my 12g tank. Ornaments and plants(some of which died as a couldnt clean tge algae off) were affected.

I found i was running my lights far far too long. 9-10 hours. Once i dropped it down to 6 and few plants established it heloed a lot. Also had to do some large water changes and add a few snails to clean he plants i had. (research snails before addin any as some breed prolificly). Otocinclus or shrimp will also clear small amounts of algae.
Less light and more water changes to reduce tge nutrients in your tank will go a long way to solving excess algae.

Diatoms in new tank setups are very common. The generally go away on their own once excess silicates in the water are used up. Lighting does indeed contribute to the problem and anytime there is an algae issue lights should only be left on 6 hours daily.

One thing I noticed you said tho is that you have nitrite, very high at that. Was this a mis print? If your tank is months old (knowing exactly how old would be helpful) and your having nitrites then your tank isn't cycled. And you need to do some 50% WC's to get nitrite levels down to .25 or below for the safety of your fishes health.

Figured it was a typo but thought I'd ask. If you tank isn't planted you can actually use a phosphate remover in your filter for awhile as phosphate removers also remove silicates in the water which will help get rid of the diatoms faster.

Back
Top Bottom