Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

washworks900

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I have a 75 gallon tank and the only thing in it is a 9 inch male red devil cichlid. I am constantly getting brown alga. I have tried increasing aeration, adding a product on a weekly basis called Special Blend made by Microbe-Lift. I have almost eliminated the lighting from the tank except for the light coming through the window. If any one has any ideas please let me know what you may think will work on removing this brown algae permanently.
Thanks
Steve

New tank?? Most likely diatoms, they are self limiting, once nutrients are used up it will go away...

New Tank

No, Not a new tank this has been going on for about 4 months now. Any suggestions how to get rid of diatoms?

Thanks
Steve

Water Change

I change water once a month. The tank is in my Laundromat so I have to pick a time to change water when the fewest customers are around. When I do a water change I do a 50% change. I don't currently have any photos of the algae if that is what you were asking, but it gets all over the gravel and the glass and the underwater waterfall but not really on the heater, canister intake or outlet.

Thanks
Steve

That's your problem right there.. Do a weekly 50% wc and it should clear up.. Shoot if you were around me I'd do it in exchange for free laundry once a week;)

Water Changes

I will try to do them more often. But it is regulated by the customer flow. I will try to keep you posted if that helps. If you ever visit or move to Pittsburgh, PA I might take you up on that offer.

If you can easily rub it off and it dissolves in the water then it is diatoms. I've seen tanks that are 4 months old and still having diatom issues. While they are self limiting and usually go away once excess silicates are exhausted in the water there are reasons such as substrate leaching silicates, higher levels of silicates in the tap, and such that can caused continued diatom problems. You can check the amount of silicates in your tap water by getting a water report from your local water company. If there are no plants in the tank a phosphate remover product such as PhosGuard can be used as these products also remove silicates in the water.

A picture of the algae would be helpful to be sure it is indeed diatoms. If the algae doesn't just wipe off then you have something else.

Diatoms

Yes the brown algae does just wipe off and dissolve in the water or wash away when I clean the gravel. I did order seagel from an on line pet store to add in media bags to put in the canister filter. I will bring my camera to the Laundromat tomorrow and take some photos of it and post them. below is the information on the seagel.

SeaGel is a blend of Seachem Matrix Carbon and PhosGard. Matrix Carbon is an ultra-capacity carbon for the removal of organic and color impurities. PhosGard is a powerful remover of phosphate, silicate, toxic metals and acids. 250 ml. treats 40-60 gallons for 4-6 months. Fresh or saltwater use. Fine mesh media bag recommended.

I cant thank you guys for the help this problem has been driving me crazy here also you can see freddy which is the name the customers gave to the red devil at www.washworks900.com

thanks
Steve

Back
Top Bottom