brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmrwiggly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some advice on getting rid of brown algae or should I say diatom if I spelled it right. I've had my tank almost 4yrs without having this stuff. I was told to have good water movement. I have a canister filter with the discharge at one end of the tank pointing to the other end. I also have a powerhead at the opposite end pointing the other way. The only thing I've done different is the food. I was using mini pellet but the fish kinda stopped eating it. I started using flake the fish seem to like it better. I'm to the point of stripping the tank and starting over.:banghead:

Hey there, have you tried buying some sort of algaecide from the pet store yet like Aqueon Algae Remover or something like that? Try that and maybe that’ll help. And since the fish like the flakes better, keep using them. ;)

Diatoms that appear in aged tanks are generally caused from silicates being introduced into the system. I'd check the ingredients of the new food you started feeding to see if it contains silicates. Next step would be to get a water report, if you use tap water, and see if your tap water contains silicates. If you put lotion on your hands or arms and you put them in your tank without washing them first, a lot of lotions contain silicates.

Personally, I have silicates in my tap water that I use in my tanks so I have a constant diatom problem. I put nerite snails in my tanks to keep them cleaned up. Otocinclus also eat diatoms and I believe shrimp do as well. I would go this route before tearing your tank down.

King Fisher
I've always had a small issue with diatoms in my 75g Oscar tank but lately its 100 times worse [emoji37] Nothing has changed, solo resident because he's a PITA and kills any companions I try, no decor because he's a PITA and prefers his own decorating and I'd rather he DIDN'T knock anything over crack the glass and flood the basement, can't get a water report because I'm on a well and Mother Nature refuses to co-operate in that regard. I've tried snails which seemed to be working but he eventually uses them for snacks. I've resorted to putting his tank on the bottom level of a double stand and just trying to live with it but it's EXTREMELY fustrating. I'd LOVE to get rid of it but right now I'd settle for at least getting it under control.

King Fisher
I've always had a small issue with diatoms in my 75g Oscar tank but lately its 100 times worse [emoji37] Nothing has changed, solo resident because he's a PITA and kills any companions I try, no decor because he's a PITA and prefers his own decorating and I'd rather he DIDN'T knock anything over crack the glass and flood the basement, can't get a water report because I'm on a well and Mother Nature refuses to co-operate in that regard. I've tried snails which seemed to be working but he eventually uses them for snacks. I've resorted to putting his tank on the bottom level of a double stand and just trying to live with it but it's EXTREMELY fustrating. I'd LOVE to get rid of it but right now I'd settle for at least getting it under control.
I remember hearing there's something out there that tests for silicates in water but not sure what it's called atm.

That Oscar is a pain. Although, I've never owned an Oscar personally but I keep big cichlids and they've never gone after the snails. In your case, you probably have silicates. The tricky part is trying to find the source, stop it, and try to get it out of your tank. The only other option would be to go straight RO or Distilled water and remineralize it until it goes away. But then again, you would need to figure out the source unless you are content with forever using RO.

Silly question but are diatoms as affected by light or lack thereof? The reason I ask is this is my only tank with NO plants what so ever and I did forget and leave his light on for almost twice the time it's usually on for.

Silly question but are diatoms as affected by light or lack thereof? The reason I ask is this is my only tank with NO plants what so ever and I did forget and leave his light on for almost twice the time it's usually on for.
I would think light would make it grow/spread faster because it is a form of algae.

Well guess I am going to have to be much more concious of his light cycle. Also think I may try some - 《facepalm》 duckweed and see if it helps absorb some of the excess silicates. This time of year I can always throw it on the compost if it gets too out of hand -.who am I kidding it WILL get out of hand but I hate the brown tank glass more

Well guess I am going to have to be much more concious of his light cycle. Also think I may try some - 《facepalm》 duckweed and see if it helps absorb some of the excess silicates. This time of year I can always throw it on the compost if it gets too out of hand -.who am I kidding it WILL get out of hand but I hate the brown tank glass more
If it works let me know. I'll give it go.

I heard that using RO water will stop diatoms. Well I've been using RO for at least 2 yrs but I still got the diatoms. My well water's ph and nitrate is off the chart. You said otocinclus eat diatoms, boy do they ever. 9 of them cleaned my 75g in less than 2 days. Now I'm nervous they don't have enough to eat.

You might want to add fresh zucchini slices and sweet potato for them to feed on. You can also feed them algae wafers.

I’ve posted in another part of the forum as well , but it you have a lot of algae , try getting a sea hare, they eat more algae than you can grow !
I have to add seaweed for him to eat now that he’s eaten the tank clean.
You can rent them from the fs usually.

You are very much correct. My bad! They definitely don’t like fresh water!

Back
Top Bottom