Brown algae balls on driftwood only.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
Over the last few weeks balls of furry looking brown algae have been growing on my driftwood, and only my driftwood. No signs of this anywhere else in my tank, not on the glass, rocks, plants, or anything other than the wood. I have live plants and my light is on for around 10 hours a day, the only chemical I use for my plants if leaf zone. Also noticed some furry green algae in two spots, doesn't seem to be growing as fast as the furry brown algae. Anybody know what the cause of this is? Thanks

We really need a picture to correctly identify the types of algae so proper advice can be given.

One thing I can tell you is when your having algae issues you should only run your lights 6 hours max a day.

What is your lighting and how long do you run it daily? Do you know your nitrate levels? Is the tank planted? Do you use ferts?

Ill try and get a picture tomorrow. My light is a marine land double bright LED 30". Last test my nitrates were around 10 ppm, that was about 4 days ago. Only thing I use is leaf zone.

Was going to wait for a better camera but decided to use my crappy phone. The brown algae in the picture pretty much is like that over the entire thing, and on the sides of the wood it has grown a little taller.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 154
That is BBA, Black Beard Algae which isn't always black.

Cut your lighting down to 6 hours for now.

It appears your tank is planted, yes? Do you use any ferts?

You can spot treat BBA with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. Pull up 3ml of either solution for every 10 gallons of tank water, put the syringe right up to the algae and slowly squirt it. If you use Peroxide you need to turn your lights and filters off before treatment and leave off for 20 minutes after. The algae will usually start dying within 24 hours. If you have a lot you can spot treat an area each day. But be sure to keep to a 6 hour lighting photoperiod.

Anacharis, Cabomba, and I believe Wisteria, although the wisteria has mostly been eaten by someone in my tank. Looking at getting a new light soon because it's not enough with the marineland double bright LED.

Besides the change in lighting try getting and using Flourish Comprehensive along with the Leaf Zone to give the plants a more balanced dosing regime. Also it would be a good idea to start using a Liquid Carbon daily such as Flourish Excel.

Could I just take out the driftwood and scrub it off? Or would it just come back?

if you can take it out, then do so, put it in a sink on some paper towels and literally pour hydrogen peroxide over it. Lay the wet paper towels over the DW then and let it sit for 20 minutes. Don't rinse it, just put it back in the tank and you'll find the BBA will die off.

Alright, thanks for the help. Next time I'm out ill pick up some of that flourish.

So I took out the wood and doused it with peroxide, the algae has turned almost red. Is a sign they are dieing, and/or dead?

Sweet, thanks for your help. Going out and getting some flourish comprehensive today. Anything else you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom