Brown Algae = Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmokeShank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

my first post :)

I think i am getting this as well. My tank is about two weeks old and about two days ago i noticed some brown showing up on my tank decor. theres a small amount on the glass, most of it is on the gravel/objects in the tank. is this the brown algea? is there anything i need to be worried about?

Im going to be doing a 30% water change this coming week. water is being tested in a couple days as welll

hey thanks,

so it does go away after a period of time (i read that somewhere when i did a google search)?

Also, I am a huge newb to fish aquariums. Ive always had fish when i was younger. Now that im finishing up college, I have a small tank in my office (10 gallon). It has 4 tiger barbs in it. What would you guys suggest for additions to the tank? i know its small and thats about my limit, but should i add a "sucker" fish (im sorry that i dont know the correct term). I had one when i was much younger. I remember adding algae pellets to the tank for him.

suggestions, comments, etc welcomed!

edit: also in my google search, they said this was from getting close to the end of the cycle and it goes away after a couple days, or up to a week or two. they suggest removing 25% of the water (sometimes more). should i do that? i was planning on doing it as well as the aquarium salt i added a few weeks ago is slightly cloudy (directions said that would happen as the filter cant filter it out). would 50% water be too much?

Yes. The diatoms burn off. 50% is a little too much during your cycle unless you have high parameter results from your test kit(s).

In regard to your stocking list, you would do well to post a new thread. The title of this one is misleading and will probably not recieve any hits.

Back
Top Bottom