Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Brown algae on Christmas moss

Hi just join today, i got i think is Brown algae, on my Christmas moss, i dont see any on my other plants, rocks, or glas, only the moss. its 5 weeks since I started it up my aqarium, and it is my first.
Dont want to put chemicals in it, because I don't know if it's unhealthy for me.

My Spec :
350 liter
No fish, ore anything else living, yet
No co2
Light 6 hours
I fertilize half what is recommended
No chemicals.
Filter 9 kg Biohome ultimate, 2 weeks in the bacteria grows

Question:
How do i get rid of it, without chemicals?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191103_213617.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	314368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191103_213631.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	314369  

Name:	IMG_20191103_213648.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	314370  

Old 11-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Are you feeding the tank fish food for cycling it?

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Are you feeding the tank fish food for cycling it?
No did not know i should do that, im using Pure Reef Balance Balls in the filter, do that cycling the tank ?
Old 11-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The Biohome Ultimate sounds like a pretty exciting new product. Never heard of it before now (in USA).

The combination of the enhanced Media plus the Bio Balls which says it releases bacteria starter in 2-3 weeks in the filter, sound like it might be the combination of bacteria started and maybe the media is with "added trace minerals" not sure if it means also ammonia to feed the new bacteria.

Normally the BB need ammonia as food to process to grow, colonize, reproduce and make more.

A couple articles about the normal processes and solid basic info on aquarium keeping too

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Old 11-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As for the blemishes / algae. Try reducing the time the light is on, move the moss a little bit lower or light highter. Not sure about the light's power or time it is on (or how close).

You can snip off the blemished part.

Moss doesn't need super bright light. And grows well in dim light. You can add some floating stem plants as well to help shade the moss.

Some Diatoms brownish dusty algae looking stuff, are common during the initial set up stages of the tank maturing. It feeds off of the dust of the silica, and isn't actually algae (if it IS Diatoms popping up).

A bleached looking spot looks like it could have been a little too much light.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agree with Autumn about the less light, I also find my moss prefers it cool.
I bought some Christmas moss at an auction, so it was bagged with only a little water and then forgot it in the bottom of a cooler for 10 days. When I found it it was still bright green but I still expected it to fall apart and die once it was put into a tank. Dropped it into the quarantine tank with my Amanos so that any *dead* plant would be eaten leaving only *good* plant stuff. Its going strong a week later.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
The Biohome Ultimate sounds like a pretty exciting new product. Never heard of it before now (in USA).

The combination of the enhanced Media plus the Bio Balls which says it releases bacteria starter in 2-3 weeks in the filter, sound like it might be the combination of bacteria started and maybe the media is with "added trace minerals" not sure if it means also ammonia to feed the new bacteria.

Normally the BB need ammonia as food to process to grow, colonize, reproduce and make more.

A couple articles about the normal processes and solid basic info on aquarium keeping too

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Thanks for the answer, I contacted the shop that I bought it from, and he said it has a lunch box for the bacteria to eat from, so no need for ammonia, but im going to test it out if it is cycling, by putting fish food in the water.

Quote:
As for the blemishes / algae. Try reducing the time the light is on, move the moss a little bit lower or light highter. Not sure about the light's power or time it is on (or how close).

You can snip off the blemished part.

Moss doesn't need super bright light. And grows well in dim light. You can add some floating stem plants as well to help shade the moss.

Some Diatoms brownish dusty algae looking stuff, are common during the initial set up stages of the tank maturing. It feeds off of the dust of the silica, and isn't actually algae (if it IS Diatoms popping up).

A bleached looking spot looks like it could have been a little too much light.
Okay i will try to put it down from 6 to 5 hours, and se if it helps.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
Agree with Autumn about the less light, I also find my moss prefers it cool.
I bought some Christmas moss at an auction, so it was bagged with only a little water and then forgot it in the bottom of a cooler for 10 days. When I found it it was still bright green but I still expected it to fall apart and die once it was put into a tank. Dropped it into the quarantine tank with my Amanos so that any *dead* plant would be eaten leaving only *good* plant stuff. Its going strong a week later.
Thanks for the answer, it's a tough plant :O
Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

My drift wood is going crazy also, look at it, thats after 5 days, going to clean it tomorrow, but have had it in a month, still going strong, I have read that it will go away after five times cleaning, it will be my 5 time now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191107_122439.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	314396  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffer View Post
My drift wood is going crazy also, look at it, thats after 5 days, going to clean it tomorrow, but have had it in a month, still going strong, I have read that it will go away after five times cleaning, it will be my 5 time now...

I wouldnít bother cleaning it. Just leave it and it will go away when itís ready.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I wouldnít bother cleaning it. Just leave it and it will go away when itís ready.
Thanks for the answer, good to know its going away again.

Tags
algae, brown, brown algae, christmas moss, moss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com