Brown Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
For a few weeks, I've been having brown algae growing in my tank, and I don't know how to get rid of it because it keeps coming back. I did a water change and took out all of the decorations and cleaned them. 4 days later, it was all back. I've been doing water changes every 2-3 days to keep nitrates and stuff down. I don't know what else could be causing it. Does anyone know what might be causing it and what I can do about it? Thanks.

This must be a fairly new tank? It’s completely normal to see brown algae (diatoms) on a tank that has not yet fully ‘seasoned’. Unless the diatoms are getting quite excessive I just let them be. Once you start seeing green algae, that’s when I personally start cleaning the diatoms off.

Once you have green algae they will outcompete the diatoms for nutrients and basically eliminate them. So trying to get rid of them on a new tank is basically fighting a losing battle imo.

Back
Top Bottom